Menu

Subjects/Curriculum for K-2nd Grade Co-op Classes?

freeindeed

We have a very small CO-OP group at my house weekly (14 kids - PreK to 1st grade.)  We do "geography."  First we did "Me on the Map" so they would understand some map/globe basics. Now each week, I pick a country and we read about kids/families in that country. We color the map and flag. Sometimes we have food from or watch a DVD about the country.

We also do science -- right now we are focusing on the human body -- read alouds accompanied by coordinating crafts or coloring sheets. Sometimes we add in a Magic School Bus video.  Every few weeks we do a "chemistry" experiment just for fun too.

We also do arts/crafts that are coordinated with whatever we are studying in the Bible that week. (If it isn't a Christian program, you could do crafts based on a book you read. Stuff like this - http://www.pinterest.com/LaughingGBooks/crafts-based-on-children-s-books/ )

Thanks. I was thinking about geography. I have both Cantering the Country and Galloping the Globe. We did mostly world geography - and only a little US geography - as part of FIAR this year, so I'm thinking I would use Cantering the Country so we could do US geography in depth. For the other class, I'm thinking about using this book for art/artist study: http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands-On-Children/dp/0935607099

Science and Art.

I just team-taught these with a friend (me = science, her = art) last semester:

hour 1:

me = gr. 4-6 Science (hands-on experiments)

her = gr. 1-3 Art (a different medium/art style each week)

hour 2:

me = gr. 1-3 Science (hands-on experiments)

her = gr. 4-6 Art (a different medium/art style each week)

Worked extremely well, and parents were extremely pleased and grateful, as those 2 subjects are consistently the hardest to do at home.

If it is a small group, what about a rotating schedule of activities/subjects? Maybe once a month it could be a field trip, or invite in a guest speaker/demonstration. ENJOY those fun early years! Warmly, Lori D.

What do you ladies use for science in your co-ops? Do you have books with experiments or do you just find them online? Thanks!

Yes, I created my own, using material from books I have here at home, plus lots activities gleaned from online.

SIDE NOTE: Big tip from experience:

ALWAYS try out the experiments at home FIRST!  :eek: That helped me avoid all the "fails" that would have been very disappointing. I only had one fail, and it was *spectacular* -- didn't try out the tube and lid device that would allow carbonation (from vinegar and baking soda) to pass from one empty soda bottle into the other soda bottle holding fruit juice. The plastic cylinder failed, and all the baking soda dumped into the vinegar at once, with a MAJOR eruption geysering out of the bottle, all over me, and the floor, with kids excitedly shrieking... wish someone had captured that one on their phone! ;)

I'll try and come back to this thread when I have more time with a list of hands-on that worked esp. well.

At our co-op they are offering an "Animals and their habitats" class for grades 1-3. I don't think she is using a particular curriculum but they are making lapbooks.

I facilitate a Jr. First Lego League team during one of our co-op periods (ages 6-9, max 6 per team). One person is running a math games class--they just play all sorts of math games. There is a Science Fun class but that is totally up to the teacher what is covered. It is a mostly hands-on class. As mentioned by others, we do have Galloping the Globe as well.

We do have FIAR available for this age, also art, general music, and musical theater.

Next year I am thinking of teaching Bible Heroes (IEW product) which is for 2nd graders. We'll see!