Menu

Building a science library

strange_girl

Two great threads here (Developing advanced reading skills and the science philosophies one) have put me in a thoughful mood this afternoon ^_^

If you were going to build an in-home library of awesome science books, which ones would be your must-haves?

I am not a science person, and I want to put a wide variety of science reading in front of my kids (a smorgasboard, if you will), and I find I know nothing about great science books.

It can be early readers, topical nonfiction, scientist biographies, science histories, textbooks, etc. Any grade level, because hey, we'll get there eventually. Make me a list of all your very favorite science books! You can add curriculums, if you like, but I've hated every curriculum I've tried so far...so I've come back to where I should have started: science the WTM way!

I'm all ears! :bigear:

There is another thread she started where people posted booklists and links. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499518-so-must-haves-for-my-home-science-library/

Another link that I didn't post in the other thread is http://charlottemason.tripod.com/nature.html

Follow that link to the high school recommends also bc the general science recommendations are for younger students.

Fwiw, I have never used a science textbook before high school. I have the anti-thesis of a Core Knowledge philosophy toward education. My kids have never seen a science vocabulary sheet or science test until high school. ditto to science labs. But, they live in a science library rich environment and read lots and lots of science books and do,science research.

I don't know how long you have been reading the forums, but all of my older children have followed or aspire to STEM paths (with the exception of our 21yr old Aspie who is at this pt only able to cope with working at Goodwill.). Our oldest is a chemical engineer. Our next will be graduating as an occupational therapy assistant in Aug, our sr aspires to a phD in physics and is already taking 300 level physics courses as a dual enrolled student (usually with the highest grade in his classes). So, obviously it is approach that has not hampered science success. ;)