Menu

Handwriting Question

~Victoria~

I have been using HWOT for my k5 son and loved it until we got to lowercase letters. He is reading on about a beginning first grade level and can form all the letters, but needs practice. I am wanting to ditch our HWOT workbook :/ We have recently started doing copywork that corresponds with our literature and I am thinking about just using it as our handwriting. So my question is what font type do you prefer? I do not really care for ball and stick type fonts. So D'Nealian? Something else?

It may be tricky to teach him a different "hand" than what he has been learning up to now ("font" pertains to printed work--including what you see on a screen--not to handwritten :001_smile: ).  He might mix up letters and write different styles indiscriminately.

A traditional manuscript is a good thing to stick with for awhile. When he's confident with his writing, then you could teach an italics, or even a pretty cursive such as Spencerian.

All mine taught themselves print then moved to connected Italic without me teaching them a thing. Ditch the workbook. Copywork is enough. I would not, however, mess with his style/formation until you decide to move to cursive. 

We are also using HWOT for K but I do not plan to continue with any formal handwriting program once we finish this workbook.  He will get plenty of practice in his copywork, IMO.  I do plan to stick with the same style as we had a lot of trouble getting him comfortable with handwriting to begin with and I do NOT want to confuse him.