Menu

Lindamood's LiPS - What materials should I buy?

tjlcc

We are looking into purchasing LiPS for our newly turned 9 yo son.  What materials would you consider to be worthwhile investments?  I'm tempted to purchase the kit, but don't want to waste resources if it's unnecessary.  The magnets seem expensive, but the mouth picture cards look helpful.

Also, do you have any suggestions for purchasing this used?  I checked here and ebay, but without success.

Thanks. 

IMO the manual and some kind of lip pictures and colored squares (ETA: and letter pictures too - I had forgotten about those - they are needed in the beginning for sure - see my post below for additional comments).  The manual comes with some dvds (which have much shortened versions of the extra dvds they sell)

I made my own lip pictures but the magnetic ones look nicer and not too expensive.   The card deck looks interesting too.

The colored squares I could not imagine paying the prices they are asking on gander - I cut out some pieces of felt instead.  If you are going to use Barton after anyway, then level 1 comes with some colored wooden tiles that would also work and had a much nicer 'feel' to them then felt squares  (and probably the Gander ones do too but not $35 worth to me).

I did find the extra DVD's useful - but IMO better to look at the ones that come with it and only invest further if you aren't getting it at that point.  (I did it opposite order- bought a full set of the dvd's used to 'test' the waters, knowing I could sell them again later and recoup most of my money).

I did talk with my mom and she says if you aren't intending to use LiPS all the way through (planning to remediate until you can switch to Barton or another system, for instance), then she felt that the components that you really need are the manual definitely, but the tiles are really helpful, too (but she didn't need all of them, just a lot of them - they were very specialized and many are not typical tiles so it would not be easy to find an equivalent off the shelf but if you are creative you could probably make them), mouth cards are also specialized and necessary, but could possibly be made, a mirror (you can use any mirror, not just theirs), the DVD was very helpful since the manual is sometimes not as well laid out as the Barton manual, but not strictly necessary, and Mom found the LipStick (extra cost) extremely helpful, but it also isn't strictly necessary.  

She did not use the LiPS readers with my son because he is gifted, was speaking complex sentences at 18 months, and HATED the "baby wording" in the books. I wish he hadn't been resistant to this, though, because Mom feels it would have helped reinforce what he was learning.  I don't give him any options with Barton (he has to read what the lesson requires), but Mom is really sweet and kind of a pushover...

Hope that helps...

I forgot about the letter tiles :blushing:  - those are needed in the beginning when you associating the lip/tongue pictures with letters/sounds.   We didn't use them again after that (skipped over chapters 6 & 7 and stopped after the beginning of 9 (multisyllable words/accents) ).

FWIW - I was not particularly crafty in making my own 'tiles' - I copied a couple pages from the manual (eta - looks like I enlarged 1 of them), laminated, cut and added stick on magnets.  Unlaminated would have worked fine although not as durable.  If I were to do anything different I might have scavenged some actual tiles from a game, and glued on to those instead of magnets. 

ETA - I also made a 2nd copy of those pages where I had whited out any clues (I believe I actually copied the page I had just cut out from) - laminated that, and then would have DD 'fill in' the letters and mouth pictures after she had learned them all.

Not sure if I am allowed to say this here, but I have the LiPS and am looking to sell it. I tried it with my dd, and it did help immensely in some areas, but then we moved and her new speech therapist doesn't use that system, so it is sitting on my shelf not getting used. Just pm me. Good luck.

Not sure if I am allowed to say this here, but I have the LiPS and am looking to sell it. I tried it with my dd, and it did help immensely in some areas, but then we moved and her new speech therapist doesn't use that system, so it is sitting on my shelf not getting used. Just pm me. Good luck.

There was another poster on this thread looking to buy as well.  I've already purchased mine from Gander.  Thank you for the offer though.