Menu

Differences between VP Omnibus and TOG?

Well, I used Omnibus1 and 2 with my son in 9th and 10th grade.

I have a few TOG units that I bought for dd when I thought I'd be doing 7th grade with her, so I have looked over 3 units of it--what would have been the first part of Moderns.

Omnibus 1--my son would read a lengthy essay in the book, then read the Great Book, doing assignments every day. There were content questions and comparing worldview questions and bible stuff. It was really good for our first years of homeschooling. There were some readings in Spielvogel's Western Civ. If I were to do it again, I'd have the student read ALL of the chapters of Spielvogel instead of bits and pieces. There was little true literary analysis in Omnibus 1 (and 2), but characters and plot were discussed. It is closer to SWB's idea of using Great Books (which are written at the time of the historical period being studied) to study history--they are "original sources" of a type.

TOG was totally different. Totally.

Lots of reading assigned, but not daily questions--the idea was to have the student spend several days reading and one day or so a week on Socratic discussion. There's a ton of material--and you don't do it all but pick and choose. There are writing assignments, but they are not based on progym like in Omnibus. There is The Pageant of Philosophy, in which major philosophers and some theologians are presented in play form and then discussed. It's just--very different.

You really have to see both to understand them.

I've used both.  The linked thread pretty much confirms my viewpoint.

For me, I prefer that Omnibus is more scripted.  You can pick-and-choose books, but if you want full credits, you're pretty much locked in.  For various reasons, my teens are schooled separately (one does local history/lit, one does Omni), and Omni is more efficient for me that way.

Well, I used Omnibus1 and 2 with my son in 9th and 10th grade.

I have a few TOG units that I bought for dd when I thought I'd be doing 7th grade with her, so I have looked over 3 units of it--what would have been the first part of Moderns.

Omnibus 1--my son would read a lengthy essay in the book, then read the Great Book, doing assignments every day. There were content questions and comparing worldview questions and bible stuff. It was really good for our first years of homeschooling. There were some readings in Spielvogel's Western Civ. If I were to do it again, I'd have the student read ALL of the chapters of Spielvogel instead of bits and pieces. There was little true literary analysis in Omnibus 1 (and 2), but characters and plot were discussed. It is closer to SWB's idea of using Great Books (which are written at the time of the historical period being studied) to study history--they are "original sources" of a type.

TOG was totally different. Totally.

Lots of reading assigned, but not daily questions--the idea was to have the student spend several days reading and one day or so a week on Socratic discussion. There's a ton of material--and you don't do it all but pick and choose. There are writing assignments, but they are not based on progym like in Omnibus. There is The Pageant of Philosophy, in which major philosophers and some theologians are presented in play form and then discussed. It's just--very different.

You really have to see both to understand them.

Hmmm...I think if I handed my 14 yo a 1000 page book she'd have a cow. lol

Well, it's not 1000 pages that you'd read--I meant just read the chapters pertaining to the time period you are in. And I didn't hand it to him and say READ THIS!! lol  Easy to pace out assignments during the year.

You will find Omnibus has a LOT of reading. We trimmed the schedule and I still felt fine giving one lit and one history credit. We did not do the secondary books the first year, and I cut some of the Bible because ds was reading the Open Bible One Year Version for devotions. I did add in a fiction book on Egypt, and three other books, but they were not Great Books. If your dd is intimidated by reading, pick something other than Omnibus!

Well, it's not 1000 pages that you'd read--I meant just read the chapters pertaining to the time period you are in. And I didn't hand it to him and say READ THIS!! lol  Easy to pace out assignments during the year.

You will find Omnibus has a LOT of reading. We trimmed the schedule and I still felt fine giving one lit and one history credit. We did not do the secondary books the first year, and I cut some of the Bible because ds was reading the Open Bible One Year Version for devotions. I did add in a fiction book on Egypt, and three other books, but they were not Great Books. If your dd is intimidated by reading, pick something other than Omnibus!

Thanks. Omnibus doesn't sound like something she'd enjoy. Me? Yes! Lol

I hear ya! The Omnibus book itself is really gorgeous!

I have to say, I used it my first two years of hsing, and, even though I tweaked from the beginning, it made GBook study possible for me and my son. I believe the strength of his booklist got him into college. I don't agree with the Reform theology, but it was easy for us to use, and ds read some really wonderful works. I'm proud of the work he accomplished!