Menu

How much do you pay for martial arts, and is it local?

amo_mea_filiis.

Regarding whether MA training would make your ds stronger or better able to evade your restraints, my feeling is yes, it would. Regardless of whether he intentionally wanted to fight back. Our instructor says that is why we drill certain movements so relentlessly - to make them become automatic, especially when under stress, with the adrenalin flowing. I think the technical term has to do with habituated nerve pathways.

I really don't think it would be a good idea for your ds. However, I think you and your dd might really enjoy it and might also be able to learn some very helpful information. I agree that you might be able to find some information about pins, holds, etc. from your case workers or mental health professionals. My BIL worked with EMH children in the public school system. I will have to ask him what kind of training he received and the source. Unfortunately, I do know that he had to retire early with back, neck, shoulder and wrist damage due to having to restrain children so often with very little help. Many of the children were nearly as large as he was, and of course he did everything he could to keep from injuring them while restraining them, so he frequently sacrificed his correct body mechanics for the sake of his students.

Regarding whether MA training would make your ds stronger or better able to evade your restraints, my feeling is yes, it would. Regardless of whether he intentionally wanted to fight back. Our instructor says that is why we drill certain movements so relentlessly - to make them become automatic, especially when under stress, with the adrenalin flowing. I think the technical term has to do with habituated nerve pathways.

I really don't think it would be a good idea for your ds. However, I think you and your dd might really enjoy it and might also be able to learn some very helpful information. I agree that you might be able to find some information about pins, holds, etc. from your case workers or mental health professionals. My BIL worked with EMH children in the public school system. I will have to ask him what kind of training he received and the source. Unfortunately, I do know that he had to retire early with back, neck, shoulder and wrist damage due to having to restrain children so often with very little help. Many of the children were nearly as large as he was, and of course he did everything he could to keep from injuring them while restraining them, so he frequently sacrificed his correct body mechanics for the sake of his students.

That's one reason I wish she had an aikido resource (can't really speak to judo). In our aikido dojo, we routinely have 5 foot tall petite women able to throw and/or immobilize men well over 6 feet and 200+ lbs, all with good body mechanics and avoiding injury to themselves or the men, and no protective gear required. The pins are specifically designed to be able to be maintained with minimal effort for an extended period if necessary until help arrives. It's a martial art that's designed to be able to be practiced lifelong, not dependent on size or strength. Now I can't promise that no injury would ever happen in an emergency situation, but I see it as far less likely than if the person's training were focused on instilling an automatic response of strikes, kicks, and punches designed to harm an attacker enough to disable them with the goal of fleeing. As I said, different martial arts have different goals and applications are not universal.

That's one reason I wish she had an aikido resource (can't really speak to judo). In our aikido dojo, we routinely have 5 foot tall petite women able to throw and/or immobilize men well over 6 feet and 200+ lbs, all with good body mechanics and avoiding injury to themselves or the men, and no protective gear required. The pins are specifically designed to be able to be maintained with minimal effort for an extended period if necessary until help arrives. It's a martial art that's designed to be able to be practiced lifelong, not dependent on size or strength. Now I can't promise that no injury would ever happen in an emergency situation, but I see it as far less likely than if the person's training were focused on instilling an automatic response of strikes, kicks, and punches designed to harm an attacker enough to disable them with the goal of fleeing. As I said, different martial arts have different goals and applications are not universal.

My 48 lbs 8 yr old was able to take down my 200 lb + husband with no injury to either one of them. It's all in the technique and element of surprise. And I don't mean surprise as in jumping out and surprising someone, I mean as in the untrained person doesn't expect which move (technique) is coming next.

My 48 lbs 8 yr old was able to take down my 200 lb + husband with no injury to either one of them. It's all in the technique and element of surprise. And I don't mean surprise as in jumping out and surprising someone, I mean as in the untrained person doesn't expect which move (technique) is coming next.

DS's sensei (sp?) is barely 5' tall, if even, and yet he has no problem pinning any of the kids.  He is also the sensei for the adult class.  One of the things he always tells the kids is "the best way to avoid being hit (or fighting) is to not be there."