Menu

Lifepac Chemistry - Does it teach s, p, d, f orbitals?

I need a quick answer to this if possible.  I am tutoring a student who uses Liberty Academy Online, which is essentially the AO Lifepacs in a digital format (similar to Switched on Schoolhouse).  Unlike the printed copies, she cannot open future lessons until she is up to date on current lessons and their quiz.  It is hard to tell from the section title whether orbitals designations and how they are filled gets covered at all.  She is having trouble understanding the lesson on the periodic table because it vaguely refers to how energy levels fill with electrons and how that affects elemental periods, groups, and trends, but she hasn't been taught the foundational reasons yet. It even mentions valence electrons, but hasn't really explained it.

Thanks!

Pamela

If you think that a quick lesson on orbital filling wouldn't overwhelm her, I'd go ahead and do it so that she can see the "why" behind how valence shells fill the way they do.  Even if the course doesn't cover it formally later on, it's not going to hurt her if it helps her to understand valence electrons and how they behave.

I have access to the full scope and sequence, but as noted by mom31257, you cannot tell if orbital filling is actually covered. It's frustrating because some complex topics are presented, but without sufficient foundational information. Students are just expected to memorize the "what" without knowing the "why." As a scientist/mathematician, it really bugs me.

Dicentra...your suggestion is exactly what I was considering.  Thanks for the confirmation in my thought process!

Thanks!

Pamela