Menu

Any suggestions: how to deal with and interpret ds's difficulties?

Since my ds13 so badly wants to start physics and chemistry, I purchased Life of Fred Elementary Physics, which is appropriate for kids who are between decimals and pre-algebra, which is exactly where we are. He was really excited to do it. I find it slightly challenging myself, since I majored in the Arts, not STEM, but I can still understand the logic in what it's teaching. I read the chapter to him, which is very short, and I get him to do the exercises verbally, unless it is a formula that needs writing out. I guide him through everything. He has been very difficult with it: impatient and not wanting to write anything (pen-phobia is already an issue), to the point of total refusal to do any of the work. He won't engage with it and refuses to read the questions correctly, resulting in wrong answers, which increase both my and his frustration.

I asked him: do you still want to do physics?

He says yes.

But this is physics.

Yes.

But you are refusing to do it?

Yes.

Is it too hard?

Yes.

But it's for your level.

I can't do it.

What part don't you understand?

I don't understand any of it.

What would you do? We've reached a wall. I find the book really funny BTW and think it's a shame to put it away.

When my son was that age he attempted LoF physics. He had already used LoF from fractions through algebra and wanted to work through the physics book. He stopped using it after a few weeks, and it became the only LoF book that he did not like. I never did understand what exactly was the problem because he was working through it independently, but he insisted that he did not want to do it any longer. At the time I heard of other students having the same problem, so I figured that it wasn't him but the book.

Maybe you should find another physics book for your son? Or maybe put it away for a while and try again later when he is older at which time he may be able to understand it better.

I would probably try a new curriculum. He seems to have an interest in the topic, and I would not want to quash that with trying to trudge through a curriculum that isn't working.

We are currently using Elemental Science Physics for 4th/5th grade, and ds loves it. They will have it offered in the spring for 7th/8th graders. There is also Real Science 4 Kids, and they offer a Physics curriculum for middle schoolers. If he just wants to do some physics experiments, you can purchase some from the HometrainingTools website. I would try to keep the interest up.

Just agreeing with previous posters and adding a few more physics resources to check out:

Rainbow Science

2-year overview of physics and chemistry topics, geared for grades 7 and 8; older students can very successfully do the complete program in 1 year. Non-math-based. Lots of hands-on, with easy-to-understand explanations in the student book. Written to the student and mostly done independently by the student. Expensive, yes, but it includes everything you need, and you can look around for a cheaper used set of the non-consumable parts and just purchase the consumable part new.From a Christian perspective.

Exploring the World of Physics (John Tiner)

Mentioned by previous poster. Each chapter covers a key scientist / discovery in the field of physics. Interesting facts, and a gentle, historical explanation of key physics topics. From a Christian perspective. No hands-on, and NOT a textbook -- use as a supplement.

Matter & Motion: Abeka 8th Grade Science

Totally NOT a fan of textbooks for science until high school, BUT, we actually used and liked the physics section of this text. It is a formal, standard type of textbook that includes the basic formulas for acceleration, rate, etc. We used it along with Reader's Digest: How Science Works (physics & chemistry topics), along with loads of hands-on kits and experiments. Which brings me to...

TOPS Science Units

Each unit is a series of experiments on a specific topic. Most work pretty well; I've noted the units that were less useful. Experiments are usually pretty quick and use items around the house. DO buy the supply kits when offered (esp. for the Chemistry units).

TOPS Physics Topics

#9 - Floating & Sinking

#15 - Heat

#21 - Motion

#42 - Focus Pocus (optics, lenses, pinholes, etc.)

Chemistry Topics

#10 - Analysis

#11 - Oxidation

#12 - Solutions

#13 - Cohesion & Adhesion

Avoid: high failure rates; have to buy expensive parts

#17 - Light

#18 - Sound

Other units:

#14 - Kinetic Model = not as good as the others

#16 - Pressure = not as good as the others

#19 or #32 - Electricity = haven't tried it; others give it good reviews

#20 or #33 - Magnetism = haven't tried it

Lots of good recommendations at the level you're looking for in this past thread: Physics curriculum for 7th grader. BEST of luck in finding a better fit than LoF Physics! Warmest regards, Lori D.