Menu

sewing basket/organizer?

Farrar

What do you use for a sewing basket or organizer?  I'd like to finagle one for Christmas or maybe just buy myself one.  I have an old one from the early 80's that was my grandmother's but it has only two compartments and nothing attaches, which has been a problem because THREE TIMES now someone has accidentally knocked it and the lids come off and everything spills everywhere.  It's just pointless.  When I've searched though, I just turn up ones that are already stocked (which I don't really need) and which look like they're just one big compartment as well.  I need something with at least a few different areas.

Thanks.

I'd get a plastic stacking container. Not as pretty, but it won't dump out!

http://www.joann.com/snapware-plastic-home-storage-container-with-2-layers-rectangle/1145838.html#start=13

Target has a small selection, usually near their sewing machines. JoAnn's or Michael's or whatever crafty place you have nearby will carry a bunch.

The best wedding shower gift I got was a small, divided Tupperware container with a little pack of needles, safety pins, small thread spools, and a tiny pair of scissors. I have oodles of sewing supplies, but I still grab that little case for quick things. I did cut off the crappy thread and wind on good thread... ;)

I got one from Joann's that is like a zippered tote and inside has 3 plastic storage boxes that stack: 1 for thread, 2 with compartments for needles, elastic, snaps, etc, etc and TONS of pockets n the side and inside.

Not "cute" but very practical. I can't find it online. I think with a coupon it was ~$20.

AMDG

I never saw it but when I complained about our sewing boxes (the standard deep well with a tray on top, padded lid for sharp things) b/c I hate the trash can/toy box approach to storage my teacher told us about another of her students who had the same complaint.  

After months of hearing her complain, her husband got her a toolbox.  It was evidently much larger than a sewing box but much smaller than a great big cabinet kind of tool box you'd see in a garage.  My tchr said she and the student both loved it.

IMHO a standard sewing box is only good for carrying around a single sewing project: put in the thing your working on and just the tools/supplies needed for that one purpose.

I need something portable for the tools and thread and so forth.  I do hand and machine sewing, but the machine is portable.  All of it lives in a craft storage area in the basement and I bring it up to the main table when I want to do anything.

Yeah, I'd like it to be like a toolbox, with places for things.  The thing I have now - besides not being safe to carry around because it opens and tips so easily - is mostly just one huge space.  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep needles, threads, scissors, bobbins, velcro, elastic, etc. from ending up in one big messy pile.

Okay, thinking about tackle boxes instead of cute sewing baskets (alas! why must the pretty things be so unfunctional!), I found something I think will work better:

http://www.amazon.com/ArtBin-6982AB-Satchel-Divided-Translucent/dp/B0027AAIC6/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1386198620&sr=8-24&keywords=sewing+organizer

Thanks, guys.

Same one we got DD for xmas. Looks cool.