Menu

How bad is homeschooling in Massachusetts?

It's been very easy for us, but everything depends on your local school district. If you know which district you'd be in, you can join this mailing list and ask others what their experience has been with the local superintendent. I haven't been on the list in a while, but when I was, there were far more people in the eastern part of the state than out where I am, so you'd have a good chance of finding people in and around Lexington. Good luck!

and had many firends who hs in the Lincoln School District that was pretty friendly to them. The Lincoln Library is also excellent. We lived in New Hampshire (Nashua) where the hs laws are a bit better. It was about 25 miles from the base. Worth looking into. We have good friends in Merrimack from that assignment that got out and stayed there because they loved it there and h.s.ing in NH was easy. HTH>

Because every school district is allowed to make their own rules and sometimes the rules change when administration changes BUT if you know the laws and stick to your guns you will be ok.

I have had no problems in our K-4 school, the 5&6th grade school never bothers with an approval letter and leaves you alone and the 7th grade woman in charge is giving me a hard time because I choose not to use the official form.

The rules are that you send in your Letter of Intent to Home school and turn in progress reports twice a year. I choose to write a written narrative.

I would be happy to send you my generic LOI if you'd like to see it.

This website has lots of information that will help as well.

In truth, it is new gung ho homeschoolers that screw it up for us. Rather than sending in only what the law requires, they are so thrilled with what they are doing that they send in everything with huge CV's and samples of work and test results and once that happens, the school begins to wonder why all of us don't give them this sort of info and we have to start reiterating the law again. NEVER give them more than the bare minimum. It sets a bad precedent, trust me.