Menu

I think either the SAT or ACT specify that mechanical pencils can't be used, but they don't say why.  I'm not sure if it's a matter of scanning, or some other reason.   Dd said she has always seen some using mechanical pencils without incident.  I think they'd be a distinct advantage on the essay writing, but we were too chicken too. 

I think either the SAT or ACT specify that mechanical pencils can't be used, but they don't say why.  I'm not sure if it's a matter of scanning, or some other reason.   Dd said she has always seen some using mechanical pencils without incident.  I think they'd be a distinct advantage on the essay writing, but we were too chicken too.

I've heard this, too, but don't have a specific reference. I think they might be worried that you can disassemble a mechanical pencil and hide things (albeit small ones) inside of it. It sounds like some tests/proctors might let you use mechanical pencils, but I would always show up to the SAT/ACT with a supply of at least some traditional pencils. I sent my son with 4 pencils to the SAT, and he said there was no sharpener available, so he had to use them very carefully. Next time, I think I'd send 6 or 8 sharpened traditional pencils, at a minimum.

Just FYI,

Brenda

#2 pencils are better for scantrons because they are not as sharp and literally, it takes less than half the time to fill in a bubble with a #2 than a mechanical pencil. Those seconds could mean the difference between a scholarship and not. Or a national merit, or not. Those seconds add up when you are talking about that many problems.