Menu

Question about Shurley English

HSMom2One

Has anyone used both Level 3 and 4, one after the other? We started third grade grammar a bit late in the fall last year and have only made it through 2/3 of Level 3. I am wondering if we should go ahead and jump into Level 4 when we start our 4th grade school year next month, or should we finish Level 3 first? I remember reading some WTM posts in the past that made me think that the two levels are very similar and are quite repetitious.

Thanks for any input you may have. :bigear:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I've used 2, 3 and 5. Both of my kids skipped 4 during 4th grade and went right into 5. If your kids have the basics of Shurley down, they shouldn't have any troubles at all skipping the rest of 3 and moving into 4. The beginning of 4 will cover 3; yes, there's lots of repetition.

I do love Shurley! My 8th grader will be doing 7 this year--she also skipped 6.

I have two children that are a year apart. I made the mistake of doing level 3 and 4 together and it was almost the same thing. I have heard some say that doing every other year with Shurley was sufficient (i.e. grade 1, 3, 5 etc.) I wouldn't go that far with the curriculum, knowing that level 7 is quite challenging, but skipping a level in the early grades is harmless.

Last year, third grade, we finished up English by January so moved into a new English then. My daughter really wanted to try Shurley (the thought the jingles sounded fun . . . and still does!) so I let her. I looked into it and asked for reviews b/f buying. One person strongly recommended just getting the 6th grade book b/c they are all so similar and the sixth grade book has everything necessary for the lower grades. I had never used Shurley, heard that it was teacher intensive, and that it's often laborious and confusing. I after reading that, I didnt' have the nerve to go straight to 6th!

I bouth the 4th instead. I have a friend who has used Shirley from the beginning. One day I was on the phone with her about a question about it. Naturally we each referenced our books several times: they seem identical.

I don't know if we'll do Shurley next year but if we do, we'll skip straight to 6th.