Menu

Windows Tablet Question

Chocolate Rose

I'm planning on buying dd a Windows tablet for Christmas for school (college). I know nothing at all about tablets. Does anyone have a recommendation? Will they go on sale before Christmas? I checked at Costco, and they won't be carrying them this year - in store or online. Is it best to buy from a local store in case of a problem?

If it's for school I would suggest http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/overview?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=SEM_GOOGLE_GA

It runs java. I've only heard positive things about it. Disclaimer: I do not own one. This is simply from asking others' opinions recently.

Thank you. Yes, it is for school. Her lap top just isn't cutting it anymore. It's having battery issues, etc. 

I was leaning towards the Surface just because of all the ads I see. It sounds like you've talked with people who have it and are happy with it?

Thank you. Yes, it is for school. Her lap top just isn't cutting it anymore. It's having battery issues, etc. 

I was leaning towards the Surface just because of all the ads I see. It sounds like you've talked with people who have it and are happy with it?

Yes, I've talked with several people that are using it at my college. From what I've read it's the only tablet that I can find that runs java (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, I have friends that take online classes and it's the only tablet that they've been able to find that will let them access their online classes (due to the java). I'm not super techy- so I'm just going off of what others have told me.

Yes, I've talked with several people that are using it at my college. From what I've read it's the only tablet that I can find that runs java (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, I have friends that take online classes and it's the only tablet that they've been able to find that will let them access their online classes (due to the java). I'm not super techy- so I'm just going off of what others have told me.

Thanks, again! I hadn't even considered the fact that she'd need java to access online class info.

Hopefully it will go on sale!

If it's just the battery, I've replaced many a laptop battery from Amazon.

If it's for school I would suggest http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/overview?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=SEM_GOOGLE_GA

It runs java. I've only heard positive things about it. Disclaimer: I do not own one. This is simply from asking others' opinions recently.

There are two tablets here, the Surface 2 and the Surface 2 Pro. Almost entirely different beasts, and they run different OSs: the Surface 2 runs Windows RT and the Pro runs actual Windows. With RT, you're stuck with the Windows app store, and these tablets have been selling poorly.

I wouldn't purchase until I knew specifics about what the school offers and requires.

There are two tablets here, the Surface 2 and the Surface 2 Pro. Almost entirely different beasts, and they run different OSs: the Surface 2 runs Windows RT and the Pro runs actual Windows. With RT, you're stuck with the Windows app store, and these tablets have been selling poorly.

I wouldn't purchase until I knew specifics about what the school offers and requires.

Thanks! I wouldn't have been aware of any of this.

The school doesn't offer or require anything. She needs a tablet so that she can be more time efficient in class taking notes, etc, and out of class when studying. I know that some of her classes do require her to access info online.

My manager at work has a Windows tablet (don't know what kind) that she bought for school and loves. She bought it through the Dell website but doesn't think it's actually a Dell. She doesn't seem to know very much about it. 

Every school will be different I'm sure, but the one that my classmates is using is the RT. Not the pro. The pro is much more expensive if I understand correctly. I would go to best buy or somewhere that you can get your hands on several different tablets.