Menu

Logic of English vs. AAS + Progressive Phonics

SeaConquest

I've been using Progressive Phonics to teach my 4.5 year old to read (he was bored to tears by OPGTR, but I do own it as well). We are just finishing up the first set of beginning readers. I also purchased AAS 1, but have not yet started it with him. I'm curious whether there is any benefit to adding the Logic of English materials to the mix? Can anyone comment on whether there will be any gaps with Progressive Phonics + AAS? Thoughts on grade-level appropriateness for the Logic of English and pros/cons to the program? Thanks so much.

AAS is extremely thorough.  No gaps.  LoE and AAS are pretty much the same.  I mean, they have different bells and whistles and price structures and books so forth, but the information and the core of the method is the same.  I can't imagine anyone using both...  unless they tried one and didn't like that structure and switched or something.  But since they're both pricey programs, even that seems unlikely.

We made the switch to LOE Essentials from AAS with my 2nd grader....my 5th grader is using the advanced spelling list to brush up on her phonograms & spelling rules and then she'll probably get back into Phonetic Zoo.  

With my 2nd grader, I don't see us finishing the whole LOE book within his 2nd grade year!  Luckily we school year round so we'll just keep truckin' until we have completed it. There is so much to do with the spelling words in the workbook & playing games that it seems almost impossible to get it all done within a week.  I have been spreading each spelling list out to two weeks.  I'm sure we may still be working on some of it for part of his 3rd grade year, but that's okay with me.  It looks like LOE gets a little more challenging in the last part of the book.  In ways, I do miss AAS but I wouldn't use it with LOE at the same time.....they are similar but taught differently.  AAS moves at a little slower pace, which is totally fine with us.  We still have our AAS 1-3 materials......I incorporate the tiles sometimes with my ds to practice his words on his own.  I haven't been doing all of LOE assignments with my ds but I still think it was worth the buy.  We love all the games & different practice ideas to study his words.  Sometimes we still use Spelling City to play games with his words if I'm busy with my other two dc.  

BTW:  I don't think I would use LOE Essentials with a 4.5 to 5 year old unless they were pretty strong in reading and writing.  My sister is a 2nd grade teacher and I showed her LOE's spelling lists that ds uses (along with the workbook) and she was impressed that my 2nd grader is doing it!  Now, there is Foundations for the younger ages grades Pre-K to 1st grade.  Here is the suggested schedules that they have on the LOE website that may be useful to you.  Good luck on your decision!