Menu

Homeschooling a Special Needs High Schooler and a Gifted Kindergartener?

ebrindam

Any possibility that I can make this work in the Fall? I have planned to HS my DD since she was 2 years old. She is very gifted, very artistic, very active. My 13 (soon to be 14) year old son is receiving very specialized services at school.  I do not feel our local high school can meet his needs and a school geared toward his issues isn't really available locally. He loves history,  reads at a (consistent) 2nd-3rd grade level and is probably at a 1st-2nd grade level for Math. Does ANYONE teach two children with such varied needs? If so, how do you do it?

You might want to cross post this on the Learning Differences board.  There are several parents there that may be able to provide specific suggestions.  I don't have quite the disparity of ages you do but I do have two kids several grades apart that are both gifted and have learning differences, some really somewhat difficult to remmediate at times, but they do not learn the same way, or have the same interests or the same personalities or the same strengths and weaknesses.  Processing material is very different, too.  One seems to fly through nearly everything when approached the right way and the other really needs a lot of hand holding, but those situations flip on a regular basis.  It is challenging, but doable.  Definitely post on the Learning Challenges board.  Lots of wonderful ladies that might be able to provide specific suggestions.

It would also help if they knew what specific issues your son has.  The ladies on the Learning Challenges board have had experience with LOTS of different learning issues and learning strengths and may be able to give some really useful suggestions. I know they have helped me.

More than happy to try and make some suggestions myself, by the way.  My oldest is close in age to your oldest....

If he can read, and is interested, you CAN do this. You can also use DVDs. You don't need to use textbooks. He can spend a lot of time reading, listening to audio books and watching DVDs.

Your gifted child will probably become a good reader. Then she too can do a lot of self-educating. There are lots of nice Apps for the little ones, now, that she can use even without knowing how to read.

I homeschooled two very different students at the same time, one "normal" and one 2E. Other than family worship, they did nothing together, other than an occasional DVD or read aloud.