Menu

Would you make this switch? CLE to Teaching Textbooks

Luvingmy4boys

I know that some of you use and recommend Teaching Textbooks. I've been using CLE first grade and my 7 year old (just turned 7) has been telling me the work is too easy. He flys through the lesson with accuracy and needs minimal teaching on a few things. I just gave him the placement test for Teaching Textbooks 3 and he scored 15 correct in section 1 and 9 correct in section 2. According to TT if the score is 10 or more correct in Section 1 and 8 or more correct in Section 2, then he should be ok for TT 3.

Would you think it's ok to switch? It seems like they'll review the simpler items anyway but I don't want to make the wrong move and I don't want to put him behind either and be bored. He loves to learn and learns quickly. CLE is supposed to be advanced and I've heard TT is a little behind so I'm just looking for advice.

CLE will become much more advanced so just take the test at the end of each LU until he gets to an appropriate level. I personally would not switch to TT.

With my daughter, we did switch from CLE to TT. She started public middle school this year and was way behind in Math. Fortunately I was able to catch her up easily with some extra studying & she has an A average, but it would have been a smoother transition had we not used TT at all.

My son previously used TT & I switched him this year to Harcourt Math, which is going great.

Having said that, I do love TT though & perhaps working grade levels ahead will compensate for the gap. Both of my kids enjoyed TT a lot and they did retain the information. For us though, the scope and sequence was too far behind to use successfully (at least at grade level).

It sounds like he's not placed correctly in CLE, or he needs to accelerate in CLE (try doubling up on the new parts of the lessons and doing the "We Remember" section of the 2nd lesson only).

I would not take a child finding a more advanced curriculum easy out of said curriculum and move to an easier curriculum. He'll likely get very bored as the novelty wears off, and/or he'll fly through it at lightening speed without getting the depth he could have gotten from another curriculum.

FWIW, my son turns 7 in a couple days. He's about to finish LU 203. I'll probably try Beast Academy with him when he's ready for 3rd grade math. TT is not at all on my radar for my mathy kids. I'd absolutely choose it for a struggling kid who needed that presentation.