Menu

Calling Dr. Hive - what might this be?

Chava_Raizel

For the last 3 days or so, I have a weird heaviness in my lower abdomen. I think it's in my uterus actually. It isn't painful, more like uncomfortable. If I'm on my feet a while or doing anything strenuous, I'll start to feel mild cramping, almost like braxton hicks contractions. It also seems to be putting pressure on my bladder, because I'm feeling the need to pee a bit more frequently than usual. Right now, I'm sitting down, and I feel fine - I don't notice it at all. But when I was doing the laundry earlier (bringing the basket down 2 flights of stairs and carrying the clean laundry back up) it was definitely more uncomfortable. I notice it most when I'm active. And I know for sure I'm not pregnant. Just want to throw that out there, because when I tried to google my symptoms, nearly everything that came up had something to do with early pregnancy. 

I'm really hesitant to call the dr. We have to pay out of pocket for anything not a normal check-up, and my dr. tends to be test-happy. I just know if I go in, she's going to order up a ton of tests and we just don't have the funds right now. Like I said, I'm not in pain. But in the back of my mind, I'm worried it could be something serious and I'm an idiot for worrying over money. 

So, any ideas? 

You might be experiencing the beginning of a urinary tract infection. Or, uterine fibroids, but based on your photo you seem a little young for them. Another option could be that your uterine lining is a little thick this month, which can happen due to estrogen dominance.

Where are you in your cycle? You don't have to give me an answer, just think it through for yourself. If you are close to your period, then a thick lining might be the culprit.

Watch your symptoms, and if you develop pain, fever, heavy bleeding, or painful urination, then see the doc.

I hope you feel better!

I'm 33, and I'll start my period late next week. 

I'm a bit older than you, but I'd say in my late thirties, I started having some of the sensations you describe during the second half of my cycle, not so much the pressure as the contractions. I've come to recognize it as a sign ovulation is over. The pressure, though,  I have felt during ovulation. It can be intense but only last for a few hours usually, not days.

The other thing I'd think about is your bowels. If you are constipated at all, which can easily happen during the second half of your cycle, you could be experiencing extra pressure from the thickening lining of your uterus and your bowels. When a family member was constipated, she had a frequent urge to pee. It was bad enough that she went in to be checked for a UTI.

Unless you're uncomfortable or there's a change, I'd give it a few more days. 

I hope you feel better.  :grouphug: