Menu

Italian for 4 yr old; Professor Toto? Other?

• 1 month later...

I recently got Professor Toto in French and Italian and I have to say that I don't know if its good for a kids first exposure because it is so fast paced and lacks repetition.

I have 0 experience with Italian and I could only follow it because of what I know of French and Spanish. I think that ToTo is a valuable resource but unless you have experience with the language and can aide your kiddo, I'd look into something like DinoLingo and Little Pim first if you want to go the DVD instruction/exposure route. See what your libraries (public, private, and school related) have on hand in the area.

Please Keep In Mind That I Don't Have Experience with Any Italian Program. I have a grand collection of Spanish materials and would recommend that you look into the Italian version of some of the following programs:

BOOKS (some with CDs)

Your going to need to learn to read Italian so that you can read a few books to her from time to time. You can always learn to ask the 5 W and 1 H questions in Italian so that you can discuss picture books etc in Italian. (Who, What, When, Where, Why and How).

As for books that will help you to teach her and expose her to at least the basics.

Italian for Beginners  by Angela Wilkes (I Love this book in Spanish and French, I have 2 copies of the Spanish. Its a great guide book.) The edition I linked includes a CD, the older edition does NOT.

Teach Me Tapes Company: These are coloring books with songs and phrases included on every page and a CD to listen to. I suggest looking them up and previewing the pages online so that you get an idea of what I mean, I like the Spanish version of this series though I've yet to see the two "Everyday" books in person. If you buy these books, I suggest copying the pages so that your kid can enjoy them over and over, this is a consumable. The Major Draw Back is many of the songs are translations of English songs, but they are still fun in Spanish, I am assuming the same of Italian.

Teach Me Italian

Teach Me More Italian

Teach Me Even More Italian

Teach Me Everyday Italian v1

Teach Me Everyday Italian v2

You'll want to look up traditional Italian rhymes, songs and poems online and help her to learn those as well, but its good to have a song that you can understand/follow along with so if she likes the Teach Me...products I recommend the first 3. I think that the "Everyday" books might be a revision/combo of the originals, I'm not sure.

Berlitz Kids Italian Language Pack

and look around the internet to find all three Adventures with Nicholas: Italian books. I have all three Spanish versions.

The Five Crayons

The Missing Cat

A Visit to Grandma

These are great for seeing the basic grammar in action and its easy to understand the story

First 1000 Words in Italian

Getting to Know Italy and Italian ** Never tried anything like it for Spanish. But it looks good.

Italian for Children ** Don't own the Spanish equivalent but only because I have so many other things that teach/cover the exact same stuff. This book in Spanish is succinct, well organized and easy to teach.

Kids Stuff Italian I have been trying to get this book in Spanish for years now! I really, really, really want this book but can never seem to find it when I can afford it. If you can get a copy of this book, snatch it up--don't hesitate.

A Beginners Reader in Italian--Once she is reading and knows some words in Italian, I suggest you get her an Italian reader and help her through at least the first unit, then go into the

Practice Makes Perfect Series in Italian. To be used only AFTER you have covered the basics/introduced something already and then you will need to help her with these books or adapt the exercises down to her level. They are meant for mature learners who are studying or getting initial exposure somewhere else and just need reinforcement.

DVDS

General Tip:

Get a Region Free DVD player and order Childrens DVDs from overseas. Many US-disks can be played in Eng, Spn and Frn, but always check your DVDs to see if any have an Ita option. Find cartoons on Youtube and download them or save them to a playlist online, Netflix allows some shows to be streamed in other languages--check and see what is available in Ita.

Language Tree:

Italian for Kids Vol 1

Italian for Kids Vol 2

Little Pim:

Muzzy

Dino Lingo

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. If I think of anything else I will let you know...

I was wondering something similar. My husband is Italian, but he was born here (his parents are from Italy). His dad and family members live too far away to immerse our children in it, but we live in a southern state where Italians aren't entirely common. I would like an Italian program for my 4 and 1 year old sons, as I speak none myself. I'll keep an eye on your thread :)

We have used dinolingo with a six and four year old. They really enjoyed the DVDs as they were fun, but haven't picked up heaps of words just from watching. ( I have learned more than they have). Playing games and extension activities using the posters and flash cards have helped but I need to do far more of this. I'm not trying to teach reading at this stage just oral language.