Menu

Fiction books to go along with Holling c holling books?

mmpmelmack

Hi all, I am looking for fiction books to go along with the geography holling c holling books : Minnesota of the Mississippi, seabird, paddle to the sea and the tree one.

I already know we will do huckleberry Finn with Minn, but am looking for others, all reading levels

We Will be doing iews geography, with the beautiful books guide. I need some ideas for good books for read alouds and for him to read.

Thanks!

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/dolphin-treasure

This was a favorite of ours from Sonlight. Perhaps it would make a good companion for Pagoo (another all time favorite). When we did Pagoo we used a fabulous serires of books on invertebrates from the library. Learned an incredible amount of classification from them.

For Paddle to the sea one of Gloria Whelan's great lakes books might be good. One had a logging theme........

For Tree in the trail the only thing I can think of is the book where the Newfoundland Dog that accompanied Lewis and Clark narrated. Can't figure out how to make it google. Anyway we liked it far more than the Beautiful Feet recommendation.

Happy reading.

For Tree in the trail the only thing I can think of is the book where the Newfoundland Dog that accompanied Lewis and Clark narrated. Can't figure out how to make it google. Anyway we liked it far more than the Beautiful Feet recommendation.

Would this be Seaman?  

We're doing BF Geography next year so these suggestions will come in handy. :)

JMO: with a 7yo, I would NOT do Huck Finn unless you're talking about an abridged version, or children's classic version, such as the Great Classic Illustrated Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. If you want to do the full original version, while The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is funny boy-antics that a 7yo would enjoy, in contrast, Huck Finn is likely to feel dull to a 7yo, as it is an often somber journey that involves themes, and cultural aspects that are for a more mature audience.

Also JMO: Minn of the Mississippi (and esp. Holling's "extra" book of Pagoo) is a pretty slow read-aloud, esp. for a 7yo. I think you'll be okay with the first 3 books: Paddle to the Sea, The Tree in the Trail, and Seabird.

Below are some book ideas to go with Seabird. If I have time, I'll try to pop back with ideas for the Tree in the Trail and Paddle to the Sea. Happy reading! Warmly, Lori D.

SEABIRD

read alouds

Great Illustrated Classics: Moby Dick (Bogart) -- ships and whaling

By the Great Horn Spoon! (Fleischman) -- fun tall tale: clipper ship, California Gold Rush 

Tikta'Liktak: An Inuit Eskimo Legend (Houston)

Call it Courage (Sperry) -- South Pacific islander boy overcomes his fear of the ocean

The Twenty-One Balloons (duBois) -- Jules Verne-like tall tale adventure; S. Pacific island made from a volcano

Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid) -- fun tall tale of the super-strong girl with red braids

Baby Island (Brink) -- two girls are shipwrecked with 4 toddlers

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (Lin) -- Chinese tale

ChiLi Purse (Fang) -- Chinese folktales

Indian Children's Favorite Stories (Somaiah) -- Indian folktales

Rikki Tikki Tavi (Kipling) -- short story set in British Empire India

gr. 1-3 readers -- non-fiction

Arctic Fox, Arctic Hare, Polar Bears (Townsend) -- Polar Animal series

What Can Live in the Ocean? (Anderson)

Ships, Sailors and the Sea (Miles)Usborne Beginning Knowledge series

Oceans Alive: Walruses (Sexton) free online book

Whales: The Gentle Giants (Milton) -- stepped reader

Hill of Fire (Lewis) -- stepped reader; volcanoes

Volcanoes: Mountains that Blow Their Tops (Nirgiotis) -- stepped reader

Growing Up in Ancient China (Teague) -- gr. 3 reading level

gr. 1-3 readers -- fiction

The Snail and the Whale (Donaldson) -- in rhyme

Mako (Beziat) -- about an eccentric walrus

Punia and the King of Sharks: A Hawaiian Folktale (Wardlaw) -- gr. 3-4 reading level

Cloudmakers (Rumford) -- picture book; legend of papermaking in China

The Five Chinese Brothers (Bishop) -- Chinese folktale

Monsoon Afternoon (Sheth) -- picture book set in India

Chang's Paper Pony (Coerr) -- stepped reader; Chinese immigrant / Gold Rush

The King, the Mice, and the Cheese (Gurney) -- silly tale; illustrations set it in India

The Blind Men and the Elephant (Backstein) -- silly tale with a lesson, set in India

Ds has already read all four books on his own, so we are ok there, I will pre read huck Finn, but I know he has read part of it, so I think it would be ok for a read aloud. He will pick up pretty much anything and read it, even the local paper. For free reading today he picked up a middle school earth science text I was using for myself. We won't be starting this until late spring so he will be almost 8. I need to have it planned out though as we will be reopening our foster home, and things will get too busy for planning.... He reads 6 to 8 chapter books a month, and is almost finished with the narnia series. So I need books that will take at least 3-5 days to read. It's hard to keep him in good appropriate reading material. Thanks for the list I think we have some of the titles already, which is always good!

Ds has already read all four books on his own, so we are ok there... For free reading today he picked up a middle school earth science text .... He reads 6 to 8 chapter books a month, and is almost finished with the narnia series...

Wow! Well, disregard MY suggestions above! Clearly I need to revise my suggestion list, as I didn't expect a 7yo to be reading at middle school levels. ;) Congrats on the very advanced student! :)

Wow! Well, disregard MY suggestions above! Clearly I need to revise my suggestion list, as I didn't expect a 7yo to be reading at middle school levels. ;) Congrats on the very advanced student! :)

To be quite honest, I find it bothersome. It really is hard to find appropriate books, It would be nice not to have to preread every book he picks up at the library. I spend an enormous amount of time researching books, which is why I am looking now, for books I won't use until next spring. If I have a never ending list of approved books, I can type them in and reserve them at the library. I have decided not to read to my one year old at all in the hopes that we get to do fun stuff for school later... ( ok not really, but I wish, she is more book loving then he was at this age!) ( I would like to add a smiley here, but for some reason the iPad refuses to let me and I am too tired to find out the problem!). Thank you for helping me think this through, I showed him the amazon page for moby dick and he was very excited!

Would this be Seaman?  

We're doing BF Geography next year so these suggestions will come in handy. :)

That's it!

Twenty One Balloons and Baby Island from Lori's list were also favorites at our house.

:grouphug: Early readers are hard work! Dd was one. I spent years trying to keep ahead of her. The plus side is I read tons of great fiction.

http://www.capstonepub.com/product/9780756516963

They were part of a series called Animal Kingdom Classification by Steve Parker and Daniel Gilpin. Lovely books. We made notebooks,did drawings, had a fabulous time with Pagoo and several of those books. Could add Minn in with these too if you are lucky enough to have a library with a somewhat complete set. ;)

Here is my working list. Most of these I will Ned to pre read, but some were already on on approved list

Seabird

Moby dick

21 gallons

Baby island

Robinson crusoe

Carry on mr. Bowditch

Treasure island

Island of the blue dolphins

Paddle to the sea

Sign of the beaver

Indian captive Mary jemison

Tree in the trail

Dear America

Little house on the prairie

Seaman

Matchlock gun

Minn of the mississippi

Huck Finn

Tom Sawyer

Journey tom the river sea

Swift river

My goal is 4 books for him and two read alouds, and then I will fill in with non fiction for the rest. According to the beautiful feet guide each holling book should take about 9 weeks. If I need to add more fiction I think it will just be other good fiction. Not tied to the holling books.

Does anyone know if there are annotated versions of the holling books?