Menu

question for Jewish families

We are currently studying the Mosaic covenant, the Jewish calendar and the high holidays and customs that go along with them. I would love to visit an orthodox synagogue for Shabbat services, but wonder if that is welcomed or frowned upon. I don't in any way want to offend or be in the way of normal worship practices, but I really think this is an important thing for my kids to experience.

Would you recommend contacting the rabbi at a congregation or just showing up? How do I do this...Or do I?

I would think it could be a BIG learning experience.  I would certainly call the rabbi before you come so perhaps he can find you a guide to help you with services when you go.  Not every orthodox synagogue would be the right place for a casual visit though.  If you PM me your location, perhaps I can help you...

We belong to a large Orthodox synagogue, and while you probably couldn't get an appointment with the rabbi (he and the assistant rabbis are always running around), you'd be welcome to come. At a very large synagogue you may not even be noticed.

You know about the separate seating, right?

Based on what all of y'all wrote (separate seating, lack on English prayers, possibly hard to get hold of the rabbi), that's why I suggested using the Orthodox Jewish network here to help you find a place that would be suitable and a guide to give you advice and help. Please let us know if we can help.