Menu

Cross-post: Handwriting Without Tears transition?

lilajoy

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good handwriting program for my 4.5-year-old, who doesn't like to write much and has underdeveloped fine motor skills. It seems from the reviews that Handwriting Without Tears would be the best program for him, but I'm concerned because he will probably be attending public kindergarten next year, and I don't want him to have to unlearn everything. Has anyone been there, done that? Is the transition from HWT method to standard handwriting fairly straightforward, or would I be setting him up for frustration? Can anyone recommend a good "standard" handwriting program for a young child who's a little resistant? (He'll try, but he gets frustrated and gives up easily.) For what it's worth, I'm not trying to force him into beautiful penmanship so young -- I just want him to begin to develop better fine motor control, for his sake, so that he won't struggle next year.

Our public schools use HWT.

Every OT we've ever used has used HWT.

Beyond that, the basic stroke sequence of letters is the same across most programs. He can always add the flourishes that are found in other programs later to his handwriting style.  HWT is the basic program.

Also, he's four and a boy. If he is able to look at and draw a circle, triangle, square, plus sign, etc. I wouldn't freak out. If he's four and still struggling with those, be sure to spend a lot of time on the chalkboard work before you move on to the paper book. He'll need the motor memory work as a foundation for writing on the less-resistant paper.

HWT should be fine. You could also ask the school what they use for K. If they're using ball and stick instead of a continuous stroke hand, you'll want to teach continuous stroke first. I had to reteach my oldest to write in first grade because they had taught ball and stick in school (ie, for a 'b', draw a stick, then a ball - 2 separate shapes, for a 'd' draw a ball, then a stick... no wonder that child STILL reverses those letters at 9 years old!).

I also agree with PP that it's normal for a 4 year old boy to not have an easy time with handwriting yet. My oldest could barely write his name when he started K. My middle son wasn't ready for formal handwriting practice until after he turned 6 during his K year. HWT is good and gentle though.

I used hwot with my oldest when she was 5. I was trialing homeschooling and was undecided about public school. I didn't know where we would be living or what school would be like there and I loved certain aspects of homeschooling. We ended up staying where we were and she got into my favorite charter school. Handwriting was hard for dd but she benefited from learning one letter at a time and getting corrected and she did well with instruction. Then she went to kindergarten where they used a different style and different paper and she did struggle quite a bit for a while.  She eventually got through it and learned the new style but I feel like she wasn't allowed to improve because it was almost like starting all over. Now she in 1st and struggling again. Her school expects good handwriting but she writes more and it is harder to correct the problem. My son is struggling with learning to write more then dd and I won't be using hwot with him. I am going to teach him using the letter formation and 3 lined paper the school uses. I did buy the small chalkboard and will start with wet dy, try before we use paper but I will be using the letter formation the school uses and when we start using paper I will use 3 lined paper. The biggest challenge was not the slightly different formation of letters but the paper. 

Our public school uses HWT for kindergarten also. And it's been great with my two 5 yr olds. You might want to check with your local schools and find out what program they use, maybe there won't be any problem with transition :)

Thanks, everyone. I toured the local public school yesterday and found out that they don't even have a handwriting program -- teachers just wing it. So I guess it'll be fine. I also appreciate the reassurances about his not being good at writing yet. He's my first, so it's all new to me. I've seen friends' kids his age who can write so neatly already, but maybe I got a little too alarmed. I'll start him gently.

Sounds like you're a lot less stressed after touring the school, that's great! 

In addition to what others have said, I'd add that there are lots of activities that will strengthen his hands/fingers and coordination: play-doh, stringing beads on pipe-cleaners, coloring, gluing, cutting etc.  This post has tons of activity suggestions: http://handsonaswegrow.com/30-kids-activities-materials-for-promoting-fine-motor-skills/

By doing these types of things, he'll be working on his strength and improving his writing preparedness, which should be very helpful in addition to a some gentle writing practice.