Menu

King Mattress

Negin

The major manufacturers do tend to go by a naming system, even when the names vary store to store.  For instance, a Serta "Allure" would be better than a Serta "Daphne"  (totally making up names, but A before D, etc, is the point).  Of course, that "Allure" in another store might be named "Allegra."   The letter-system is about as close as you can get to comparing one brand to another, or even comparing the same brand across retailers.

Every store generally carries its own special "brand" of mattresses or specific line within a brand. There is not a lot of crossover of specific mattresses between stores. That's why it's hard to find reviews for a specific mattress.

Thank you. I guess I'll have to do more reading. 

The major manufacturers do tend to go by a naming system, even when the names vary store to store.  For instance, a Serta "Allure" would be better than a Serta "Daphne"  (totally making up names, but A before D, etc, is the point).  Of course, that "Allure" in another store might be named "Allegra."   The letter-system is about as close as you can get to comparing one brand to another, or even comparing the same brand across retailers.

This, I never knew and it's very helpful. Thank you. 

I know that you in general seem very concerned with health and natural remedies. Have you thought about the flame retardants in many conventional mattresses? I don't know if you're sensitive to those or concerned about them, but I thought maybe I should mention it.

I know that you in general seem very concerned with health and natural remedies. Have you thought about the flame retardants in many conventional mattresses? I don't know if you're sensitive to those or concerned about them, but I thought maybe I should mention it.

It's true. The American standards for flammability have gotten out of control (assuming one doesn't plan on smoking in bed) and the result is almost beds from the majors are sprayed with some pretty strong fire-retardants.

There are some natural mattresses. We needed a doctors note to purchase one of ours legally, the other had enough wool to pass the crazy tests.

Bill

It's so silly. Make the mattress flame retardant but ignore the fact that most mattresses are covered in cotton sheets, blankets and pillows.

Someone somewhere had good intentions--guess we can give them credit for that.

It has been some time since we purchased our beds, but I seem to recall seeing the (then new) standard being a bed had to withstand x-number of minutes of being hit with a blow-torch. Well intentioned perhaps, but not well thought through (given the consequences).

Bill

Thanks for this very helpful reminder. We've decided to probably wait until our next trip. Getting a new mattress is not that urgent and we'd rather be there in person. Saw some gorgeous, natural ones in a really delightful store in Canada last winter. Those mattresses were like a dream.