Menu

ACT vs SAT to take early

DS took the ACT last year to qualify for the Hopkins CTY program. This year he's taking the ACT for the DUKE TIP program. However I realized now he could have taken the SAT for that instead of the ACT. Does it make any difference which one to take multiple times? I know he has a chance to take the PSAT in high school right?

DS took the ACT last year to qualify for the Hopkins CTY program. This year he's taking the ACT for the DUKE TIP program. However I realized now he could have taken the SAT for that instead of the ACT. Does it make any difference which one to take multiple times? 

I don't know about special high school programs, as they may require a specific test score, BUT... Both ACT and SAT scores are now both universally accepted for college entrance and scholarship consideration. The reason many families do both tests is that some students tend to "click" with one test or the other a bit better and score a bit higher; other students pretty much score the same. So you can do either multiple times and submit the highest scores. You may also want to consider having your student try an SAT and see if s/he does better with that test than with the ACT.

I know he has a chance to take the PSAT in high school right?

The PSAT was esp. designed as a shorter practice SAT test. Students who score high (99th percentile) on the PSAT when taken in 11th grade are eligible for possible National Merit Scholarship money. Many families have their students take the PSAT also in 10th grade as practice. The PSAT is only given once a year (mid-October). In early September, the parent needs to find a local high school giving the PSAT that will allow homeschoolers to take the test with their students, as the tests are ordered and paid for by the high schools along about mid-September.

In contrast, families use the online registration and sign up for the ACT or SAT test date/location of their choice.

Hope that helps! Warmly, Lori D.

One reason some talent search kids choose to take the SAT is to try to qualify for SET.

On the ACT the essay is optional and not usually taken for talent search. On the SAT the essay is mandatory and comes first on the test. That's not a good fit for some younger testers who don't have mature writing or who tire easily with handwriting.

The SAT is going to be changing next year to reflect Common Core. So if he takes it this year for talent search then it won't be the same one he takes in high school for college admissions.

The CC revisions are why I'm having my DD take the SAT in 6th rather than waiting until 7th. I have this fear that the College Board might change the test in such a way that it hurts rather than helps her. So I want to get a test score on record with the existing test. Then she can take the revised test in 7th and whichever set of scores is higher will go to CTY.