Menu

Frost-free freezer or does it matter?

This is for a small, cheap extra freezer, which we'll keep in the garage. I've never had a spare freezer, and I've never had a not-frost-free freezer. The not-frost-free one is $400, the frost-free one is $250. Will I hate having to defrost the cheaper freezer for the next 20 years? Or is it no big deal?

We have a not frost free in the garage that we only defrost every couple years. The reason I would get a no frost is that you get freezer burn faster with the frost free. The heat/cool cycles are what do it. If I know that something won't be used within a couple weeks, it goes to the one in the garage. JMHO.

My last freezer was at least twenty years old and I had it 8. The person who gifted it to me had just gotten to upgrade to frost free and I couldn't relate to her glee at the time. Defrosting was, for me at least, and unbelievable pain in the tukas. Worse was when I would have to defrost because the dang thing hadn't sealed shut and a virtual tundra had sprung up over night. Nope this time I am definitely springing for the frost free. I have been saving for it for a few months.

Ooooh, I didn't realize THAT'S the reason the stuff in my small frost-free freezer will get freezer burn if we don't use it FAST, but out big old regular freezer (complete with frost LOL) will not burn the food. THANK YOU for posting this, now it all makes sense and I KNOW I'm not crazy. :D

Although I don't particularly enjoy the defrosting process, it was fairly painless.

The defrosting frequency depended on where we were living (heat and humidity) and how often it was opened. We usually did it once a year in the summer when the contents were low and the defrosting would take place quickly. There have been an occassional double defrost year.

I agree about less freezer burn. But I also remember hearing they are more energy effecient because the frost keeps the temp cool consistently and there is less need for recooling.

I really don't have any urge to switch to the frost-free. But perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.

Jo

Oh, yes, I got frost-free and didn't even look at where it was made (still not sure.) I have had my share of defrosting freezers in old refridgerators. I don't defrost every week, you see, or even every month. I haven't had any trouble with freezer burn, but mostly store perishable flours, etc there. Any meat we use up relatively quickly. I also remember seeing my mother defrosting her chest freezer (mine's a chest freezer as it is more energy efficient than an upright). Our freezer doesn't cost much to run--I have lost of frozen bottles of water in there when I don't have enough food to fill it.

I have a deep freezer that is not frost free. No problem with defrosting it by hand. Once a year, and in the summer so it's quick and painless. Worth it considering the amount of money you save and like the others say.. it keeps colder due to the ice on the sides of it. Less freezer burn here also.