Menu

Dr. Hive - What does it mean to be allergic to yourself and low immunity???

Reflections

This is me ----->   :blink:  :willy_nilly:  :banghead:  :mad:

I took my ds8 into the Allergist's a few days ago.  They found, based on the ASST (Autologous serum skin test) that he is in effect allergic to himself.  All of his allergy and asthma symptoms is his own body tricking it itself.  So, YAY he doesn't have asthma  but BOO he's allergic to himself.  So what does this mean???  The doctor said that I could google Autoimmune Urticaria but to not look into autoimmune disorders because that's not where he is at.  Oh, that was so very very helpful - NOT. They *think* they can reset his system by placing him on two different inhibitors - Zyrtec and Zantac for 6 weeks.

Okay, I thought.  I can sorta deal and kinda have a handle on what this all could mean.  Then, they call me this morning and they have the receptionist call me. NOT the nurse.  NOT the NP.  The receptionist.  And the conversation goes like this:

Receptionist:  Ds8's IgE levels are normal but his immune system is low.  Really low.  It's an 8 when it should be around a 14.

Me:  Huh???  Sooooo, what does this mean?

Receptionist:  Well, we recommend that you get the Pneumovax.

Me:  The what??  Do you mean the Pneumococcal Vaccine?  That he got as a baby?

Receptionist:  Yes.

Me: That makes no sense.  If his immune system is low he is going to be susceptible to a whole host of other illnesses besides what that shot will cover!!!

Receptionist:  Yes.. which is why we recommend that you get the Pneumovax.  

Me:  (in my head:  ARGH!)  Fine.  Just make sure his pediatrician has everything you are telling me.

Receptionist:  I don't know if.....

Me:  I signed the paperwork giving you all permission to share everything with her.

Receptionist:  Oh, okay?  Who was it again?

Me:  Make sure she gets it today, please.

So I call the pediatricians office and talk to the nurse and she was just as confused as I was. She said she'd make sure the doctor would call me.

So, Dr. Hive, what does this mean?  What does it mean to allergic to yourself - or at least have autoimmune urticaria and a low immune system?  What am looking at here?  What should I be doing to help him?  Is there another, doctor to take him to?  Natural remedies that would help his immune system?  

I'm feeling like there is some bigger bomb going to drop any moment....  I hate feeling like this.

You need to get a copy of the lab results and find out what she was saying was an 8. DS had immune testing when we first went to the allergist, and they tested his immune response using Pneumovax to make sure he didn't have an immune system issue. They often do a baseline for each of the strains covered in that vaccine, and if the levels are lower than they would expect for someone who had that vaccination as a child, they re-vaccinate and then measure the immune system's response something like 6 weeks after the shot. That's how it went with DS, and that might be what she was trying to describe, but get a copy of the lab tests and go over them with the pediatrician. 

Look up the Histamine Diet.  I think that would apply.  

Great idea, Jean!  I'll look that up now.  I had in passing read that there were foods that produced lots of histamine, but I wasn't looking for that information so I just passed it by.  I'll look deeper now.  Thanks.

You need to get a copy of the lab results and find out what she was saying was an 8. DS had immune testing when we first went to the allergist, and they tested his immune response using Pneumovax to make sure he didn't have an immune system issue. They often do a baseline for each of the strains covered in that vaccine, and if the levels are lower than they would expect for someone who had that vaccination as a child, they re-vaccinate and then measure the immune system's response something like 6 weeks after the shot. That's how it went with DS, and that might be what she was trying to describe, but get a copy of the lab tests and go over them with the pediatrician. 

See, what you said there makes 110% more sense than what she said to me.  Why didn't they just say - and here's what we are going to do?  Because in my mind, I was thinking there is no way in heck that I'm giving my *possibly* immune issue kid a vaccine that he had as a baby without good reason.  Thanks very much for explaining it!!!

Yes, I'm guessing they want to test his response to that vaccine. But, personally, I would want immunology I think if some of his immune system numbers (which ones??) are low. Get a copy of the tests. My son tested extremely low IgA and some low IgE bands. He got many weird/uncommon infections and just didn't fight off things others fight easily.

All allergies and asthma are auto-immune in nature. All are the body attacking itself because it's over-reacting to what it should ignore. But hives particularly can do that. In my experience (my son, my father) long term hives respond very well to zyrtec, no matter the cause. So I hope it's the same for yours.

Yes, I'm guessing they want to test his response to that vaccine. But, personally, I would want immunology I think if some of his immune system numbers (which ones??) are low. Get a copy of the tests. My son tested extremely low IgA and some low IgE bands. He got many weird/uncommon infections and just didn't fight off things others fight easily.

All allergies and asthma are auto-immune in nature. All are the body attacking itself because it's over-reacting to what it should ignore. But hives particularly can do that. In my experience (my son, my father) long term hives respond very well to zyrtec, no matter the cause. So I hope it's the same for yours.

I called them just now and I should have a copy by end of day.  I'll post what I see on there then.

Alright, no where on this paperwork is there an 8 instead of a 14.  There are no results that look anything like that on these results.   :banghead:

I'm off to google the numbers and see what I can figure out.  Monday I'll set ds8 up with a pnuemococcal vaccination.  

I just hate not having information or being told to do something without an explanation of why I should do it - what the reason is behind it.