Menu

almost finished with singapore workbook, what to add? 1/2 grade

chelsmm

I have two kids- ds is 6, a young first grader, and is just halfway through 1a.  He "gets" math, but his math facts aren't quick.  He understands and can regroup, but not fast or in his head.  I don't want to move on to 1b when he is finished without giving him some more time/ practice.  

dd is almost 8, second grade.  She is more than halfway through 1b.  She is quicker with her facts and can do some of the problems in her head.  But again, more practice won't hurt.  Before moving on with both, I'd like to add more.

It seems like there are too many choices.  What do I add-Singapore More Practice, Intensive Practice, Challenging Word Problems?  I'm so confused as to the choices.  Do some people use it all?  

There is also the Math Buddies online, the new Singapore online site.  It seems kind of expensive at $99/kid, but I wonder if that would be better?

Any ideas?

thanks, Chelsea

Are you doing the mental math practice in the HIG?  If not, do that first. 

It sounds like they can both keep going to me.  Sometimes fluency just comes with time.  Make sure you are doing the mental math, and/or add in something like xtramath.com for drill.  I was having a hard time being consistent with drill last year so we went to xtramath.  It helped a lot.  It is bare bones drill, not a fun game.  They will keep working on addition and subtraction until about halfway through 2a, then they'll be introduced to multiplication.  So there is time before you need to worry about stopping before moving on. 

I like using Math Mammoth Blue Series to add in extra practice where needed.  Intensive Practice takes things a little deeper.  It's not just more practice, it's more intensive.  And it isn't arranged to easily fit in with the workbook.  CWP is completely different.  I don't think either are just "more practice". 

Maybe add in some of the intro exercises from MEP? When my younger son was in 1a and 1b I usually started with half a lesson with MEP and then  moved on to the SM lesson.

And yes, if you haven't done any of the mental math sheets in the back of the HIG, that can be a good place to start. I did those in small doses.

Wait...is there a HIG for 1a and 1b? I can't remember now. Maybe I am being very unhelpful.

I went back through 1A over the summer.  The whole thing.  It was much faster the second time, I wanted to make sure he really got it before moving on.  He is lightning fast with the addition and subtraction within 20 now, in his head.  I had put the workbook pages in page protectors to use with my other two anyway, so I didn't have to buy anything else.  I second the mental math every day, we use 1-3 columns to practice.

xtramath.org is great for learning how to do those math facts quicker.  It takes maybe 10 minutes a day.  I have my boys doing that and we are moving on in Singapore.  Ironically, my 6yo has nearly mastered addition while my 8yo is behind him on mastery.  But that's mostly because my 8yo doesn't put much effort into it.  But he is working 2b and doing just fine with it, just takes him longer to do the problems then it would if he actually spent time to master the facts.

Three of my DC did CLE 100's to cement math fact with SM 1A/B.

We did this, too.  I'm also planning to do this with my 4th (who will be in 1st grade next year).  In fact, I was just checking out the CLE website yesterday.  

Of all the Singapore levels, I thought 1B-2B were the worst.  It gets alot better.  3A, 3B, 4A, 4B, 5A, etc are awesome - 4A/4B especially (IMO).

Another possibility - if you don't want to add in a second math program - would be to do some living math.  Kid #2 and #3 did this.  Every week, we checked out a number of living math books from the library (like the Sir Cumference books) and went through them.