Menu

Base 10 Blocks

Rachel

I am looking to purchase base 10 blocks, is there anything in particular I need to look for as far as quality?  I stopped at the parent teacher store this afternoon and saw that there was a small set of foam ones, I don't think those will last through at least 3 children though.  They also had a set of plastic ones by Teaching Kids, it looked like a nice set but possibly more than I actually need.  I also saw magnetic ones for the white board, they don't appear to be 3-D though.  I'm fine with purchasing a set online, but really have no idea what type to buy.  What do you recommend?

We are about to start SM Essentials B and will move into 1A when my son is finished with it.

I have the 2nd set you referenced above and really love them!

I have a slightly different set for the whiteboard, but have found we never use them as my dd wants to hold/touch/build with them herself.

OP, there is another great set from Lakeshore that a friend of mine has. Their set also differentiates by color. (I think yellow ones, green tens, blue flats), and she had to purchase the 100 cube separately. She swears by this, and maybe it is helpful for some...

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C919%2C766&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1380199147162

ETA: I certainly would not go for any foam ones as these things get USED:)

The LR set I have is nice hard plastic and still looks brand new after nearly 2 years.

• 4 weeks later...

We have the blue plastic ones, which is nice because the boys watch videos from Mathtacular, and those are the same ones that the host Justin uses. I didn't care too much about the color, as we primarily use Miquon and then just switch to the Base 10 for 100s flats and the 1000 cube. If I were only using Base 10 rods, I might go for the multicolor/differentiated set.

• 3 weeks later...