Menu

Interesting msg from college re: Common App

Sunshine State Sue

Ds applied to his first college a few days ago.  He received a message today from the admissions counselor:

I just want to let you know that I noticed that you have submitted your Common Application to XXX College.  At this time I am still waiting for the ability to export this information.  Once Common Application has informed me that the export function is available I will complete the processing of your application.

WWYD?

Ds applied to his first college a few days ago.  He received a message today from the admissions counselor:

WWYD?

Call or email the college rep and ask them how to proceed?

My son has submitted 3 apps so far via the Common App. The first one went in at the beginning of Sept, and that school told my son a few days later that they had everything they needed except for his teacher recommendation (which we knew wasn't done yet). They never said they couldn't export it.

That seems to me an odd message from a college. Are they basically trying to slam the Common App for difficulties they are having? If so, why get potential student involved?

If you find anything out, please let us know.

Brenda

You might want to reply to the e-mail and ask what they suggest.  Wonder if this is just one college or if it's across the board.

Therein lies a problem.  Do I poke and prod ds to reply?

I just opened a "ticket" at the common app and asked about it...

Has anyone gotten an acceptance with the common application?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know...

Call or email the college rep and ask them how to proceed?

Therein lies a problem.  Do I call, or do I poke and prod ds to call?  It would be so much easier for me to call the admissions officer, but I haven't convinced myself that it is okay for me to call. 

My son has submitted 3 apps so far via the Common App. The first one went in at the beginning of Sept, and that school told my son a few days later that they had everything they needed except for his teacher recommendation (which we knew wasn't done yet). They never said they couldn't export it.

This reminds me of another question.  Ds asked 2 CC teachers to write references for him.  Both said yes.  1 has done it.  1 has not.  I realized that the 1 who has not written the recommendation is likely computer illiterate.  She did not use the CC website at all for the class.  The 2 schools ds has applied to only need 1 reference.  It would have been nice to have an extra.  WWYD?  I am sure his competitive team coach would be willing to write a reference.  His PS Spanish teacher would also likely be willing.  Should we bother?

That seems to me an odd message from a college. Are they basically trying to slam the Common App for difficulties they are having? If so, why get potential student involved?

Good question.  It does make me wonder if the admissions officer is incompetent...

:confused1:

Good question.  It does make me wonder if the admissions officer is incompetent...

:confused1:

Presumably, it's not just a problem for your ds's application but for all (of this adcom?  for the whole school ??)'s applicants.  I would tell your ds to put himself in the adcom's shoes, and think about this as an opportunity to show the school what kind of go-getter he is, and let him stand out from his competition. Show them that he isn't the kind of student who gets knocked down by the inevitable vagaries of life, but can be proactive and mail back the adcom, and say something like "I think I've done everything right on my side, how about I just send you the info directly?"

Quick response from the common app help desk:

There is no specific issue that prevents schools from exporting forms. Some schools may still be finalizing their automated processes for downloading forms from the Common App. Submitted forms will always be available for schools to begin processing when they are ready.

Looks like more discussion is needed with this particular admissions counselor...Sigh.

Yes, it does seem it's the one particular school dragging their feet, for whatever reason.  I feel your pain with the prodding and wondering whether to keep after referrals, etc..   It's so hard to know what to do.   I would think that a referral from his coach would be an awesome part of the application.   I'd also think that if your son would e-mail and ask if he can snail mail it to them, that it would make him stand out and probably give him a quick response.   Personally, I don't think that parents should call admissions.   Calling the financial aid office would be different, but for admissions it should be the student IMO.  

Brenda, thanks for the info and it's good to know that at least some or most of the colleges are receiving the applications.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...