Menu

Which SL Core E books to skip for the younger crowd?

ByGrace3

I know it's ridiculously early to be planning next year, but I like to at least have a book list ready. :) I looked up a lot of the Core E books and the interest grade levels are pretty high.

This year we are using most of the Core D read alouds and readers and so far so good. We swap the spine, add American Girl books, add picture books, lots of hands on...so its not really a SL core, but I have thus far found the readers and read alouds a great fit. 

I was surprised to see some of the Core E books as Brave Writer Boomerang books (for high school)

So what are the don't miss and don't attempt books of Core E (or feel free to add any for the time period that are just great books!) :) 

This will be for a 4th and 2nd grader. 

Thanks! 

So far, all the books have been ones my 1st grader was not interested in. My 4th grader has been fine, but he also liked Landmark last year in 3rd.

I have taken the TOG Y3/Y4 LG US history recommendations and matched them up to our core E (ok, I've done this for like 6 weeks' worth... nothing I can share, and it's based on what my library has). I get library books for my first grader and read them out loud and have him draw a picture and copy a sentence. Sometimes we have only one book for a week, and sometimes we have more. I'm pretty relaxed about it. If he doesn't do history, it's ok. So our setup is a bit different from what you're probably wanting.

I've enjoyed the TOG selections (I'm so burned out on Sonlight's historical fiction). I look forward to using actual TOG next year when we come back around to ancients with 5th grader, 2nd grader, and K'er.

So far, all the books have been ones my 1st grader was not interested in. My 4th grader has been fine, but he also liked Landmark last year in 3rd.

I have taken the TOG Y3/Y4 LG US history recommendations and matched them up to our core E (ok, I've done this for like 6 weeks' worth... nothing I can share, and it's based on what my library has). I get library books for my first grader and read them out loud and have him draw a picture and copy a sentence. Sometimes we have only one book for a week, and sometimes we have more. I'm pretty relaxed about it. If he doesn't do history, it's ok. So our setup is a bit different from what you're probably wanting.

I've enjoyed the TOG selections (I'm so burned out on Sonlight's historical fiction). I look forward to using actual TOG next year when we come back around to ancients with 5th grader, 2nd grader, and K'er.

Thanks. I always use a lot of the TOG and BP books, particularly the picture books. Both my kids love them. We read the Complete Book of US history but its short and we end up getting most of the information from the picture books. Then my dd reads the SL readers and we do the read alouds together.

Looking ahead to core E, the readers look great. In fact I think my ds would really like them. Several of the read alouds look good but some look too much. I am thinking about doing only 10 read alouds and choosing some of the longer readers as read alouds. Since we are doing BW, I think I may choose one read aloud per month to go along with The Arrow and then read some more of the readers aloud to both. Since I will be adding American Girl readers for dd that may work. Just trying to figure out much. I plan to read aloud a bunch of the Little House books as well so I don't need all the SL read alouds.

Well, of course you realize for every response on this thread you'll get a completely different list of recommendations ;), BUT... In case it is of ANY use at all (lol), here's my suggestions of the titles in the current core, based on my own 2 average DSs, when we used a lot of these books in grades 4-6. Cheers! Lori D.

great for 2nd and 4th graders:

- Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems

- Miracles on Maple Hill

- Wee Sing America

- American Tall Tales

- Half Magic

- A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

- Caddie Woodlawn

- By the Great Horn Spoon

- Freedom Train

- Shades of Gray

- Helen Keller

- All of a Kind Family

- Thimble Summer

- Gone Away Lake

- The Wright Brothers

- The Story of Thomas Alva Edison

depending on the child:

these may be not of interest to a 2nd grader, but are great for a 4th grader:

- Little Britches

- The Great Wheel

- Lincoln: A Photobiography

- George Washington Carver

- Hero Over Here

these are above the average 2nd grader interest

AND may not be of interest to the average 4th grader:

- South America Geography Unit -- workbook

- A Unit About Canada -- workbook

- Story of the USA, books 3 and 4 -- workbooks

- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (gr. 5-6 reader)

- The Winged Watchman (gr. 6 reader)

- The Great Turkey Walk (gr. 5-6 reader)

- The Perilous Road (gr. 5 reader)

- Plain Girl (gr. 5 reader)

- The Seventeenth Swap (gr. 6 reader)

- The Landmark History of the American People

you may want to preview:

there are some hard/mature subjects here:

- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (gr. 5-6 reader)

- Turn Homeward Hannalee (gr. 6 reader)

- The Terrible Wave (gr. 6 reader)

- Sing Down the Moon (gr. 6 reader)

- Old Yeller (dog dies)

these are above the average 4th grader interest:

- Across Five Aprils (gr. 7-8 reader)

- In Search of the Source (gr. 8-adult reader)

- Moccasin Trail (gr. 6-7 reader)

- Bruchko (gr. 8-adult reader)

can't comment: books I'm not familiar with:

- Starting Strong

- Sing the Word

- The World Wars

- William Wilberforce

- Sounding Forth the Trumpet

- Thee Hannah!

- The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs

- The Kitchen Madonna

Well, of course you realize for every response on this thread you'll get a completely different list of recommendations ;), BUT... In case it is of ANY use at all (lol), here's my suggestions of the titles in the current core, based on my own 2 average DSs, when we used a lot of these books in grades 4-6. Cheers! Lori D.

great for 2nd and 4th graders:

- Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems

- Miracles on Maple Hill

- Wee Sing America

- American Tall Tales

- Half Magic

- A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

- Caddie Woodlawn

- By the Great Horn Spoon

- Freedom Train

- Shades of Gray

- Helen Keller

- All of a Kind Family

- Thimble Summer

- Gone Away Lake

- The Wright Brothers

- The Story of Thomas Alva Edison

depending on the child:

these may be not of interest to a 2nd grader, but are great for a 4th grader:

- Little Britches

- The Great Wheel

- Lincoln: A Photobiography

- George Washington Carver

- Hero Over Here

these are above the average 2nd grader interest

AND may not be of interest to the average 4th grader:

- South America Geography Unit -- workbook

- A Unit About Canada -- workbook

- Story of the USA, books 3 and 4 -- workbooks

- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (gr. 5-6 reader)

- The Winged Watchman (gr. 6 reader)

- The Great Turkey Walk (gr. 5-6 reader)

- The Perilous Road (gr. 5 reader)

- Plain Girl (gr. 5 reader)

- The Seventeenth Swap (gr. 6 reader)

- The Landmark History of the American People

you may want to preview:

there are some hard/mature subjects here:

- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (gr. 5-6 reader)

- Turn Homeward Hannalee (gr. 6 reader)

- The Terrible Wave (gr. 6 reader)

- Sing Down the Moon (gr. 6 reader)

- Old Yeller (dog dies)

these are above the average 4th grader interest:

- Across Five Aprils (gr. 7-8 reader)

- In Search of the Source (gr. 8-adult reader)

- Moccasin Trail (gr. 6-7 reader)

- Bruchko (gr. 8-adult reader)

can't comment: books I'm not familiar with:

- Starting Strong

- Sing the Word

- The World Wars

- William Wilberforce

- Sounding Forth the Trumpet

- Thee Hannah!

- The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs

- The Kitchen Madonna

So amazingly helpful, thank you!

I generally agree with the above list.

I would add that my younger kids did like:

The Great Wheel

Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franwieler

The Great Turkey Walk

All my kids have liked Bruchko at a young age. It might have something to do with the fact that I met him when I was young and remember his stories to tell my kids.

William Wilberforce is a hard book for young kids.

World Wars - depends on your kids - one loved it young; two have not liked it at all

I generally agree with the above list.

I would add that my younger kids did like:

The Great Wheel

Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franwieler

The Great Turkey Walk

All my kids have liked Bruchko at a young age. It might have something to do with the fact that I met him when I was young and remember his stories to tell my kids.

William Wilberforce is a hard book for young kids.

World Wars - depends on your kids - one loved it young; two have not liked it at all

Thank you! I plan on reading Mixed Up Files and The Great Turkey Walk, but think I will skip Bruchko for now. It is a wonderful book (I met him as well!) but I think they will get much more out of it later. :)

I have the World Wars book, we tend to like the Usborne books, but will probably use it intermittently. :)

Love Lori's list! Yeah, several of the readers would work well as read alouds. I haven't used them that way yet.

We've done Moccassin Trail and are in the middle of Across Five Aprils right now. My son has liked the story in both, but did/does get a bit bored listening to me read. :lol:

I ended up having him read Lincoln Photography after a few chapters, since I was getting behind reading aloud. I told him to read chapter 4. He read the whole book. Obviously, he liked that one! :D

I'm sure he'll love the World Wars book, as that's his favorite time period. I've actually hidden it, so it will be a fresh surprise when we get there. ;)