Menu

MacBook Users: a ?

mommaduck

Air. We hardly use disks anymore, and you can buy a separate disk reader if you really need it (I think it's around $50). The 13 hour battery and lightness are incredible. I really think you only need a Pro if you are a Pro (a professional)--that is, a photographer, illustrator, film maker, etc. For the average person, I think Air is just fine.

If she buys the Air or the Retina Pro, she needs to get everything she wants as far as memory and hard drive space because they are not upgrade able at all.

Personally, I'd go for an Air if it was my turn to get a new one. My husband has one and it has plenty of horsepower and is super light and the battery lasts forever. It's his second Air. I have an older, much heavier Pro.

Tell your sister to look at refurbished models. They have the exact same warranty and qualify for the extended AppleCare warranty, and she can save a couple hundred dollars (which could mean she could get a bigger hard drive or more memory for the same price as new).

All of our Mac laptops have been refurbished. I didn't know about the refurbished store when I got the iMac and Mac mini....

She's asking if it's better to go through Apple Store or through Best Buy (if she goes new...I'm all for refurbished, but she is talking about still possibly going new)?

Apple store. They'll have a record of her purchase for warranty purposes and won't have to keep up with a receipt just in case.

There is literally no upside to new versus refurbished unless she just wants to pay more to not have to wait on it to ship.

She does NOT want a disc drive. We were considering Pro because of the specs on speed and RAM.

Is she looking at a regular Pro or a Retina pro? The air will outrun a pro with a traditional hard drive because it is totally flash memory based. A moderately upgraded air will run circles around a traditional Pro for the same price. Eight GB of RAM for a Mac is plenty. Stats don't matter with them as much as they do for PCs. You can actually slow down a Mac by having more ram than you need.

I'd recommend an air with an upgraded processor, 8gb of ram, and 512 gb of storage. They are QUICK. My next one will be this sort of Air.

Is she looking at a regular Pro or a Retina pro? The air will outrun a pro with a traditional hard drive because it is totally flash memory based. A moderately upgraded air will run circles around a traditional Pro for the same price. Eight GB of RAM for a Mac is plenty. Stats don't matter with them as much as they do for PCs. You can actually slow down a Mac by having more ram than you need.

I'd recommend an air with an upgraded processor, 8gb of ram, and 512 gb of storage. They are QUICK. My next one will be this sort of Air.

Thank you :) This helps a lot.

I have a Pro and I do use the dvd drive. I watch movies on my laptop when I travel alone and I'm probably the last person on the face of the Earth who actually buys a music cd.  

You and my DH.  :P  Something about sound wave compression or some such... Actual CD is usually better quality.  I probably bungled that.  

FWIW, I've had a Pro and never used it to its full capacity.  I agree that one should be a photographer, film maker, etc to get the most out of it.  I am using an old MacBook till I get an Air.  :)

Thank you :) This helps a lot.

No problem. One more thought...the pros have not been upgraded to the haswell chipset like the air has been. They have older generation processors for 2012 and the biggest benefit is that the air's processor has more power and much longer battery life.

You and my DH.   :p  Something about sound wave compression or some such... Actual CD is usually better quality.  I probably bungled that.  

FWIW, I've had a Pro and never used it to its full capacity.  I agree that one should be a photographer, film maker, etc to get the most out of it.  I am using an old MacBook till I get an Air.   :)

There will be ALOT of photographs! They have to photograph EVERYTHING...for advertising, auctions, flyers, videos....