Menu

Okay to use an older edition (1974!) of Jacob's Geometry?

My neighbor gave me a copy of this several years ago, and I never even looked at the date until recently. I'm sure there have been changes to the text, and I don't have a newer edition nearby to compare. Do you think the older edition is acceptable? I have the teacher's edition too.

Thanks!

Here's my 2 cents on older math books --- I love them! The one cautionary note, they do lack information on calculators. When we used Dolciani's '66 Alg I and '65 Alg II books we pretty much skipped the 2 chapters on how to read sin/cos/tan and log tables but otherwise the books were great.

hmm, acceptable you asked? I would think so.

with my 13yo son. A man in our church who is a math teacher gave it to us. He says it is his favorite text - and he has been teaching for 20+ years. He is a great teacher!!! The text worked great for my son.

We had a friend use the newer version of Jacob's Geometry this year also. I looked it over and it seemed to have all of the logic type problems in the first several chapters removed. The pages looked cleaner and nicer to look at, but I liked the content of the older book much better.

You'll be fine! Jacob's in an expensive item - feel blessed and go with it!

Wendy

I thought the book "looked" fine, but I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing something. Wendy, may I ask what book you're using after Jacobs? I have a feeling my son will enjoy this course, but I will probably have to do a lot of algebra review somehow.

Blue Hen ~ I hate to date myself, but I remember using log tables...surely, I'm not that old! Okay, so I did graduate from high school in 1978! The 1974 copy of Jacobs was probably being used at the time, but I don't remember having geometry as a separate course. I'm sure that says something about the high school I attended. Hmmm...maybe I had geometry and have put in out of my mind by now! Goodness, I hope it all comes back to me!

Blue Hen ~ I hate to date myself, but I remember using log tables...surely, I'm not that old! Okay, so I did graduate from high school in 1978!

LOL!! The reason I started using the '66 Dolciani text was because I recognized it at a Used Book Sale----just as you would recognize a long-lost-best-friend. There are plenty of us on this board older than you, including myself. I graduated high school in '74. Oh, and during my first year at college calculators were just starting to hit the market. Yea, I do really remember log tables and trig tables........(and I made sure my son used them for a little bit when I took him through Trig)

Carole

Foerester's Algebra II Trig books. I researched a bunch and had these in mind and then I asked our math guru friend. When he suggested these, my decision was made. :001_smile: I love outside confirmation which doesn't happen much in homeschooling. It is nice also because our friend knows our son well and thinks these books are great for anyone, but really good for the type of kid our son is, if that makes sense.

Based on what I've read, we'll use the Alg II book for Alg II only. Apparently trig is better in the Foerester Pre-calculus book. Not sure why, but that is the general wisdom I found.

Wendy in WI