Menu

MIF for first grade and Kindergarten alternatives???

acabrera0607

I also use Math in Focus. I purchase the student textbooks used on Amazon and the workbooks new from Rainbow Resource. I think I spend about $35-$40 for the year on MIF. I also find no need for the teacher's manual.

However for the Kindergarten level, the teacher's manuals are necessary so I don't use MIF in Kindy. I use Singapore Essentials Book B and MEP Reception.

I would probably find no use for the teacher manual other than when/if my husband or mother decided to help in that subject for a day in which they would need the teacher's manual...How does it work not using the teacher's manual? 

In the student textbook at the end of each lesson it tells you what workbook pages to have the child do.

Also, the instruction in the student textbook is so well done, IMO, that it is very easy to teach straight from it. The only reason that I've even been tempted to buy a TM is so I would have the answer key. However, this year with my oldest (MIF 4th grade) is the first time I've thought about getting it so I could quickly check her work instead of having to do the problems myself.

Thank you. I have always been a math-minded person (got the math award at high school graduation) so I don't see a problem trying to teach without the TM. Are there any extras in the TM that would be useful is my question....maybe how it would list a few ways to explain things or a fun activity to make the lesson make some sense? I guess it's my Type A personality that makes me feel like I would be missing something without it lol.

Thank you. I have always been a math-minded person (got the math award at high school graduation) so I don't see a problem trying to teach without the TM. Are there any extras in the TM that would be useful is my question....maybe how it would list a few ways to explain things or a fun activity to make the lesson make some sense? I guess it's my Type A personality that makes me feel like I would be missing something without it lol.

Seriously, all of that is in the student textbook. Fun hands on activities, critical thinking questions, manipulatives to explain the concept....all in the textbook.

Thanks so much Chelli. That makes me feel better about considering giving up the TM....I'm really trying right now to tell myself that I do not need it no matter how much I feel I do lol (once again that type A person coming out in me). I can't wait to get all our books and officially start the year (I'm having the kids do review with me just going over math with my now 1st grader and having him read to me and with my K daughter I had an old preschool workbook we have been going through that has a little bit of every subject). I think I am more excited about this school year than anyone but I am loving seeing my son excited to start especially since last year he hated everything to do with school lol. 

• 2 weeks later...