Menu

Spalding manuscript and cursive fonts?

It's called a "hand." :-)

Spalding teaches "connected writing." It's very similar to Zaner Bloser, but with little slant. It starts with manuscript, and teaches the strokes which join the letters to each other.

I have bought the 4th, 5th, and 6th editions and am trying to read all of them. At the same time.  :lol:  I like typing things and having the fonts match, so I was hoping for a computer font to make assignment charts, type up reading lists, etc. 

• 5 months later...

I haven't found a font like Spalding anywhere. The closest is Handwriting Without Tears Tight, by Educational Fontware. The TIGHT version is different than the regular. It's not so stretched out, so the long straight connectors that are so ugly and hard to draw, are shorter and don't appear so straight.

I really like the new Handwriting Lessons through Literature font that is available for all the Lessons through Literature Language Arts curricula. Really only the y and v are all that different. That doesn't help for subjects other than LA, or something I want to add to LA.

I've been creating my own handwritten copywork for years now. Switching at least partly to HLtL will at least cut down on that. But I'm still scribbling on paper, the old fashioned way.

To teach Spalding, I need the 4th and the 6th. I don't want to need both, but I do need both. And there is information in the 5th that is not in the 4th and 6th.

Romalda Spalding was a wonderful author and teacher. Those that took over for her–they are not the same. There is "more" now, but the "more" is not fully explained, and clouds the most important parts.

I gave the videos away, but they actually had me laughing. They start off with an intro saying all you need is pencils and paper, but then demonstrate the method using very advanced and expensive technology.