Menu

Toronto Area Vacation tips

Rubix

So, we are planning a vacation to the Toronto area in early September, for 10 days.  We're driving from the US Midwest.  We are actually staying what looks like around an hour north of Toronto, near Barrie. 

I'm just wondering if anyone who lives near or has visited the area has any great tips for us!  We'll have a 6.5 and almost 4 year old.  So far we area planning on the Toronto Zoo, Ontario Science Center, Royal Ontario Museum, the park that is on an island off of Toronto. I can't remember the name.  Also the new Ripley Aquarium if they open in time.  Any other not to miss attractions?  Any need to know info about the attractions we are choosing?  Border tips or first time out of the country hints? 

We are driving to Niagara after the 10 days and sending the night there to see the Falls. 

Thanks for any ideas you may have! 

I grew up in the area, my favorite places to go are Casa Loma, centre Island, the zoo (beware Toronto zoo has a TON of walking from one exhibit to another- definitely rent one of the buggies at the front gate!), and CN Tower. You should look into Toronto City Pass- you will save a ton of $$ on admission to the top 5 Toronto attractions (casa Loma, CN tower, science centre, ROM, zoo)- my sister and I bought city passes last year and took our kids to all 5 places in a week- it was awesome! :) I'm hoping to take them back to the zoo and centre island this fall. Also, if you've never been to Niagara Falls, it's only just about an hour away from Toronto- something to consider! ;) If you're into big theme parks with rides, etc you will be driving right by Canada's Wonderland on the drive from Barrie to Toronto. Hope you have a wonderful time! :)

I believe there is a Lego exhibition in Toronto also.  If you are into History, there is a castle around Toronto area, many forts, etc. 

Ahh!  The 3 year old loves legos, thanks! 

I grew up in the area, my favorite places to go are Casa Loma, centre Island, the zoo (beware Toronto zoo has a TON of walking from one exhibit to another- definitely rent one of the buggies at the front gate!), and CN Tower. You should look into Toronto City Pass- you will save a ton of $$ on admission to the top 5 Toronto attractions (casa Loma, CN tower, science centre, ROM, zoo)- my sister and I bought city passes last year and took our kids to all 5 places in a week- it was awesome! :) I'm hoping to take them back to the zoo and centre island this fall. Also, if you've never been to Niagara Falls, it's only just about an hour away from Toronto- something to consider! ;) If you're into big theme parks with rides, etc you will be driving right by Canada's Wonderland on the drive from Barrie to Toronto. Hope you have a wonderful time! :)

Thank you for the info!  I'll look into the city pass.  I know that our museum membership reciprocates with one or more of the places we were going.  I'll see if it's still a good value If we already end up getting in for free (I think it was the science centre).    Does the Canada's wonderland have kid friendly rides or mainly roller coasters?  My oldest is 6, and I am pregnant so we are limited on what we can do, lol!

I forgot to mention, near barrie you can go to St Marie Among the Hurons or Black Creek Pioneer Village which are both great historical places to visit with kids, we used to go to field trips there when I was a kid. :)

I will look these up for sure :)

There's a fabulous small aquarium on the American side of the falls. http://www.aquariumofniagara.org/ You can watch the penguins being fed and see a sea lion show. It was a highlight of our trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls! We also enjoyed seeing the falls from both countries.

This is great, thanks!  They were looking forward to the Ripley's aquarium, but it is late in opening.  I'm glad there's an alternative!

Thanks everyone!  You get so many options with google  / trip advisor / etc., it is nice to have a personal recommendation. 

We just got back from a short vacation to Niagara and Toronto. My kids are 9, 6 and 3. We were only in Toronto about 24 hours. 

Highlights: 

CN Tower: It was worth the $ and wait. Great views, cool factor of standing on the glass floor so high up. 

Niagara Falls themselves, the Maid of the Mist was everyone’s favorite thing we did. Even the 3 year old loved it. I think the first boat is at 9:15 and it was good to get there early (although if you are off season it might not matter). We had very little wait. 

Bird Kingdom in the Canadian side of the Falls was very neat, we have a bird lover though so it might not be worth it for everyone if you have limited time. 

The kids loved shopping at a Toronto grocery store and coming home with unusual (to us) snack foods...bacon flavored potato chips, maple potato chips, different drinks, etc. 

We ate in the Toronto Chinatown, although at a Japanese Ramen place. Walking through there and some of the surrounding neighborhoods helped give a sense of what an international city it is. 

The Toronto subway is fabulously priced. You can buy a family day pass for unlimited rides $10.75 which included 2 adults and up to a certain number of kids (I can’t remember how many). It wasn’t hugely advertised but is there in the fine print. You kind of have to know to ask for it. While we were there they were doing construction on the subway and it was out but they had buses and that worked out great as it was better for seeing the city. The subway workers were super helpful, they had stationed at least one person in a bright orange vest at each shuttle bus stop to help you figure out where to go and the bus drivers were very nice about helping us figure out our stops. Dh and I were laughing at the idea of something similar happening in New York. :)

ETA: My dh adds: 

At Niagara Falls there are lights that go on at 9 pm and fireworks on Friday and Sundays. We didn’t see either because of timing. 

If you go through Buffalo, the Buffalo wings at Duff’s are very good (but not the original). 

The border crossing was very easy. You have to have passports for the adults but just birth certificates for the kids. We were there on a busy August weekend and I’d say the longest it took was 30 minutes at the most. I think you can go walk over the bridge too but I’m not sure how that works for the border crossing.