Menu

Anyone here have a dog with IVDD?

Joker

If so, anything I should know?

Our dog scared me today because he was in such obvious pain. Turns out it is his neck. He's staying tonight at the vet and we bring him home tomorrow. The vet said we have to keep him confined to a crate for at least one full week. That's going to be hard since he is only in a crate when we board him. I'm hoping it will be easier due to the meds he will be on (steroids, muscle relaxers, and some narcotic). We also have to get stairs or a ramp since we do allow him in our bed and on our couch and the vet doesn't want him jumping. Anything else I should do, look into, or know about?

My mom's beagle had a similar bout to what you describe.  Her dog had to stay at the vet's for several days getting IV meds before he allowed her to come home, and then she stayed on oral meds for a month or so.  The good news is she lived a few more years after that and never had any other back problem.  She was never a jumper to begin with, so we don't know what triggered the back issue, and my mom didn't have to change much about the dog's lifestyle.  But I think your vet's advice is right on.  IVDD is nothing to mess with.  It may not be necessary, but in your shoes I'd use a harness instead of a collar, especially if he's a puller when on leash.  A harness distributes the pressure more, instead of it all being on the neck and throat area.  The steroids will very likely make him a lot more thirsty (and hungry), so be prepared to take him out a lot while he's on them.