Menu

Help with NEM 1?

DS has started Singapore NEM 1 this year and I am having trouble teaching it. I think it's the right level for him but it's a little beyond me...so I can't answer his questions or do much more than check his answers against the answer key. Are there online resources or videos or something for this level of math? We don't want a class because DS does much better moving at his own pace.

I like NEM but found it difficult to teach without a lot of math background. We have used AoPS which IMO is easier for a student to self learn from. It also has full solutions.

AoPS has free online videos that you could watch alongside NEM. AoPS also has a free online learning program called Alcumus.

FYI, NEM has been discontinued past Level 2. Since its scope and sequence is quite different from traditional non-integrated math programs, it might be quite difficult to switch to a different program after the first two books. Just mentioning this in case you were not aware.

My ds uses NEM and we love it, but I understand the limitations for some people, so I don't generally recommend it to others. I stocked up on Level 3 and 4 when I heard they were being discontinued.

I am in the midst of using the NEM series with my second student. He did NEM 1 last year. 

First you got some good pointers: the Singapore math forums will generally get you an answer to a question within a day or two. One tip: if possible type out the problem on the forum don't just put the book and page and problem, sign up so you see all the forums and put your question in the proper forum. 

Next, I found the NEM series easier and more suited to my brain than the primary series. I do not consider my self a math person, but I was good at math. However, I do usually point new people to the DM series which includes more teacher help. 

I have also found the NEM series to be pretty close to self teaching in our house. With my oldest I didn't make this transition until NEM 3 when an outside project that year overwhelmed me. But younger did much of NEM 1 on his own. The classroom exercises function much as proofs do for the students, so they should prove a concept to themselves before NEM introduces it as a rule.

However, I will also say that NEM 1 starts you out at about 200 MPH for the six or so chapters. It does slow down by the middle of the book and the sections where they apply the the algebra the student has learned to geometry were my favorites. A student using this series will never be able to ask when in their life they might use this math, they'll see its real world applications clearly. 

I thought they did have full solution manuals for NEM?  I'd have to look, but I thought we had them.  Though I suppose not a lot is still available.

I forgot to mention that!

Presuming they are still available they did exist for NEM 1 and 2 but not for 3 and 4. We rarely used them, but for struggling they can help.