Menu

Savannah, Georgia--Where should we stay? Any areas to avoid?

Harriet Vane

Yes! Historic Downtown. Beautiful city... DH and I have been there 1-3 times yearly since we were 16 together. So much fun, so many good restaurants. If you have a little time, take a Civil War walking tour. If you can stay at the hotel at Ellis Square, there is TONS to do within walking distance (though if you stay anywhere in the historic downtown, you will be able to pretty much walk anywhere- it may be just a bit more difficult to navigate. If you need any food suggestions, let me know. I have about a million! :)

If you can fit it in your budget, definitely stay in the downtown historic district.

I will be getting in early in the evening (I hope--possibly as late as 8pm though) and leaving the next morning at 6 or 7am. This isn't really a sightseeing stop. I arbitrarily picked Savannah based on driving distance. I'd like to stay somewhere basic but not ratty, possibly with a pool for the kids. I'd also like to be in a safe neighborhood.

If Savannah is too pricey, I could consider a nearby option. I was hoping to make it in to St Augustine before noon the next day.

Make sure to check your route- I am not the best navigator, but I think Savannah is about an hour off of 1-95. I might look for somewhere a little closer off of the highway if your main purpose is to sleep in a safe place. :) 

Savannah is quite a ways east of I-95. There is a nice Holiday Inn and Suites in DT Savannah though. But arriving at 8 pm and leaving the next morning, well, it kind of makes it pointless. Thinking, thinking..... OK there are nice hotels at the Savannah Airport exit (drive like you are going to the airport, east of I-95), which is close to I-95. The airport is low traffic and closes at night (I think, maybe freight planes??). There are plenty of exits off I-95 I wouldn't suggest though, so use your judgment. There are hotels at the last South Carolina exit before Ga., but they are older and basic. Exit 8 in South Carolina has hotels about 15 - 25 minutes east in Bluffton, Holiday Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn (Sun City), Hilton Garden Inn are three that are nice. Hampton Inn is the closest to I-95, the other two are 10-15 min. further east.

http://i95exitguide.com/lodging/georgia.php

I'd probably stay at one of the ones listed in Brunswick (cross-referencing TripAdvisor reviews), depending on budget. Brunswick isn't a big town, but it will have some restaurants and such versus a motel next to two gas stations and a sketchy McDonald's... ;) Savannah hotels will be more expensive because they're in Savannah, and they tend to charge for parking because it's a touristy area. The Golden Isles Parkway exit is in a nice area, near a college and cute "downtown" Brunswick. I've never stayed there, but we drive through the area going to St. Simons.

Could I say area more? I need a thesaurus...