Menu

Thinkwell's Chemistry: Regular or AP compatible?

Ds is 10th grader this year, did Derek Owens' Physics last year along with Alg 2.  He will be taking PreCalc with DO this year and Thinkwell Chemistry.

I purchased Thinkwell (AP compatible) several months ago but was wondering if I should ask Thinkwell if we can use the regular version instead.  It appears that some topics are not covered in the AP version.  I had originally planned for ds to take AP Chem through PA Hsers but they require a high school Chem class.  Ds had only done an Integrated Phy/Chem course in 8th grade.

At this point, I'm wondering if I should switch to the regular Thinkwell Chem since he will not be taking the AP Chem exam this year.  I've heard it's a tough exam and it will also be the first year with the new syllabus.  I'm not sure how much of the Thinkwell (AP compatible) syllabus will be changed to accommodate the new AP guidelines.

BTW, we will also be reviewing a Chem text along with the Thinkwell course, depending on how much/ how well Thinkwell covers the material.

I thought I'd ask for some advice here before I contact Thinkwell asking if I could switch to the regular version.

Thanks in advance.

Thinkwell's regular course is a college level chemistry class. I believe the only difference between the AP course and the regular course is the AP one specifically used to address AP questions.   (don't know if it has been updated.)   Thinkwell does not offer any non-AP level high school sciences.  

Thinkwell's regular course is a college level chemistry class. I believe the only difference between the AP course and the regular course is the AP one specifically used to address AP questions.   (don't know if it has been updated.)   Thinkwell does not offer any non-AP level high school sciences.  

Yes, I was wondering about the regular (college level) vs the AP compatible.  Have you used either one?  Would love to get more input.  My impression was that in order to cover the AP questions, a few topics were left out of the AP compatible course.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

This is what it says on the Thinkwell site:

What is the difference between Thinkwell AP courses and regular Thinkwell courses?

Sometimes these two versions are very similar in the topics they cover. In some courses the content is customized to only cover AP topics. If you intend for your student to take the AP exam, then the AP version is right for you. If not, you won't miss anything with the regular version.

http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/how-it-works

But it's really not very specific.

As far as I know, it has never been updated along with the changes in the AP tests.