Menu

Interesting article on rising food costs

The average family of four's current food budget is $716 a month? I'd like that food budget :D

Guess my family is going to see more "meat stretching" meals, and non-meat meals.

That, and a lot fewer boxed cereals (well, once I have a functioning kitchen!!!)

Thanks.

I agree. I already laughingly (is that a word?) refer to some of our meals as "_______ meat surprise".:001_huh:

The average family of four's current food budget is $716 a month? I'd like that food budget :D

Guess my family is going to see more "meat stretching" meals, and non-meat meals.

That, and a lot fewer boxed cereals (well, once I have a functioning kitchen!!!)

Thanks.

Thanks.

And that by next year, said budget would be $816 a month. GEEZ I spent $85 this week and that was above average. What the heck could I eat for $200/wk????

And that by next year, said budget would be $816 a month. GEEZ I spent $85 this week and that was above average. What the heck could I eat for $200/wk????

Ha--yep. We spend an average of $400 per month for a family of 4. Often it is less that that. I think I would eat out more if I had that kind of money for groceries. Then I would become unhealthy. But it sure would taste good! :lol:

You know, one of the things I've noticed is that organic food prices don't seem to be going up as much or as fast as conventional...the gap is closing a bit. And personally I'm still looking for a good source of grass-fed beef. I don't WANT it finished on grain, darn it! By next year it'll no doubt look more reasonable, as the grain-fed meat prices rise.

OK, what do you people buy? I have $267 a month, and I can't make it through the month on that for 2! We are vegetarian, which is actually more expensive, IMO. And we eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruit, if we can--I have to eat really healthy and carefully (I have diabetes and have to lose weight). But I find it basically impossible! I've posted on it before, and I do everything I can, joined the Grocery Game, which I find basically useless, because I buy so little prepared stuff, try to clip coupons, but, again, hardly any use, and make basically everything from scratch, still, it is soooo hard!