Menu

MULTVARIABLE CALC

Here we go again!

Ordered the Calc book and went to pay for the class through EPGY and found that the class has format has changed.

It is now fully accredited through the university and is online-live.  This is a good change, but Dd is taking classes at the public high school and the times may not work.

Some of you commented positively about NETMATH. How is it going? The website states that it is accepted at "most colleges", but does anyone know which colleges refuse credit?

I have looked at MIT OC 18.02   Have any of your DC's completed this and felt it was thorough?

Thanks for any help...we are quite nervous now!

Thanks anyways:)

Which book did you chose?

We  use Stewart.

The answers to the odd problems are in the back of the book. You can find worked out solutions to the problems of all main textbooks on cheating sites like cramster (now chegg). I dislike these sites, but they don't go away if I keep their existence secret ;-)

For homeschoolers they may be a good resource.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again!

Ordered the Calc book and went to pay for the class through EPGY and found that the class has format has changed.

It is now fully accredited through the university and is online-live.  This is a good change, but Dd is taking classes at the public high school and the times may not work.

Some of you commented positively about NETMATH. How is it going? The website states that it is accepted at "most colleges", but does anyone know which colleges refuse credit?

I have looked at MIT OC 18.02   Have any of your DC's completed this and felt it was thorough?

Thanks for any help...we are quite nervous now!

I know this thread is old, but I thought I would post my son's experience with NetMath in case someone would find it useful.

My son completed BC calc last year, and last spring I was investigating math options for his last two years of high school.  The closest community college does not offer multivariable calculus, and the area's most respected four year university does not permit high school students to enroll in multivariable calculus.  In addition, my son's extracurricular activities makes online options a better option schedule wise.

I looked into epgy and CTY - all I could find were negative reviews. 

I then found NetMath.  The reviews were positive.  I was hoping that this option would work for his last two years.  NetMath begins its math sequence with Calc I.  My son used his BC credits to place into the 3rd class in NetMath's sequence.  The NetMath program incorporates Mathematica into its calc classes.  Before signing my son up for the class I was assured that prior knowledge of Mathematica was not necessary.

Despite what I was told, the NetMath class did require prior knowledge of Mathematica.  My son, who is used to taking online science and math classes, could not figure out where to even begin with this course.  After less than a week, I decided to drop him from the class because his lack of Mathematica knowledge was interfering with learning the calculus.

Signing my son up for NetMath was an expensive mistake.  I am now out $300 (20% of the tuition).

Maybe our experience would have been different if I would have started him at the beginning of the sequence.  Then he would have learned Mathematica along with the calculus.  All I know is that it was a frustrating disaster beginning with Calc III.

Thankfully, Kathy in Richmond helped me out and my son is now studying multivariable using MIT OCW.  This is an excellent fit.