Menu

Question for those who have Writing With Ease

LizzyBee

If I am a curriculum junkie who already owns numerous writing curricula, and I've owned and sold a few others, and I only have one child who is still in the lower grammar grades, do I really need WWE? I keep reading the positive reviews and I'm debating buying it. Talk me into it or out of it....

ETA: Another factor that may influence your opinion: My 7 yo exhibits numerous signs of dyslexia and is not really writing yet. She is still working on letter formation and a little copywork. If we bought WWE, I think she'd probably need to start with the first workbook.

:iagree:

I would buy the main textbook and check it out. It sounds like the approach is just perfect for your daughter. From what I have seen, other writing programs don't really start from scratch the way WWE does. Have you looked at the sample lessons?

WWE is the same concepts, just holding your hand a little more walking you through teaching, then with the workbook everything is scheduled and pulled together for you. The pace is very gentle and too slow for our family (and I have three in that age range), we had the same experience with FLL, YMMV.

I own Writing Without Fear and I've listened to it several times. I completely agree with SWB's approach to writing, so that's one of the reasons I am drawn to WWE. But the frugal side of me keeps reminding me that after six years of homeschooling, we already own plenty of writing resources and I don't need another. I just can't decide. :confused:

Just giving my honest opinion, so please no bashing! But I'm already trying to sell my hard cover WWE. I was a little disappointed...it looks to be like it's just narration and dictation. I spent a lot of money for narration (which we do in reading and history) and dictation (which we do in grammar). And no writing. Unless I'm missing something?? I will use the workbook for my 1st grader but for my 3rd grader I'm going with Writing Tales which has a broader scope at least to me. If this is what you're looking for from a writing program, then it will be a good fit. I'm interested in others' opinions so will be watching this thread. Perhaps it's just me!

new that WTM didn't already kind of explain. In fact, some of the wording seemed very familiar. Given that, I am happy that "I" got it because the "copywork" and "dictation" thing wasn't happening here. Just one more thing to try to find something appropriate for them to copy or dictate. I will use it with all my younger kids, and maybe for some remediation for my oldest.

If you feel you "get" the copywork and dictation thing as it is explained in WTM, you probably don't need it. Just do what she told you to do in WTM grammar section. If you aren't getting to that stuff, or feel like you aren't able to find appropriate stuff, then I would recommend it.

Good luck from a fellow "junkie"!

Hot Lava Mama

Just giving my honest opinion, so please no bashing! But I'm already trying to sell my hard cover WWE. I was a little disappointed...it looks to be like it's just narration and dictation. I spent a lot of money for narration (which we do in reading and history) and dictation (which we do in grammar). And no writing. Unless I'm missing something?? I will use the workbook for my 1st grader but for my 3rd grader I'm going with Writing Tales which has a broader scope at least to me. If this is what you're looking for from a writing program, then it will be a good fit. I'm interested in others' opinions so will be watching this thread. Perhaps it's just me!

Ah, the perfect solution! buy it from whitestavern! I agree that WT has a broader scope. It is also more advanced (and requires a lot more handwriting) than what a typical TWTM trained student should be working on in 3rd grade.

new that WTM didn't already kind of explain. In fact, some of the wording seemed very familiar. Given that, I am happy that "I" got it because the "copywork" and "dictation" thing wasn't happening here. Just one more thing to try to find something appropriate for them to copy or dictate. I will use it with all my younger kids, and maybe for some remediation for my oldest.

If you feel you "get" the copywork and dictation thing as it is explained in WTM, you probably don't need it. Just do what she told you to do in WTM grammar section. If you aren't getting to that stuff, or feel like you aren't able to find appropriate stuff, then I would recommend it.

Good luck from a fellow "junkie"!

Hot Lava Mama

IMO WWE breaks it down a lot more than TWTM. It gives you clear cut examples, has directions on what to focus on with your copywork, gives sample questions for the narration, and tells you how and when to "ramp it up" as your student progresses. When I see what a 4th and 5th grader are doing with WWE (Diagramming, outlining, dictation, written narrations) I am very happy that we plan to use it all the way through. (And I was totally in love with WT, I still want to work it in somehow, even though there is no need.)

I spent a lot of money for narration (which we do in reading and history) and dictation (which we do in grammar). And no writing. Unless I'm missing something??

I believe the idea is that the narration and dictation are seen as essential, preliminary steps on the way to writing. Pre-writing skills, you might call them. The kiddos aren't encouraged to write (in a formal school setting) until after they master narration and dictation.

If you're already doing the narration and dictation, then it makes sense that you're disappointed, since WWE won't add anything (at least in the early stages). But if your kids haven't mastered those two skills, then (according the SWB theory), they actually shouldn't be required to write yet.

Susan