Menu

Questions about gap year and possibly graduating early

Backstory: A year ago I was worried about remediating my oldest. We had strongly considered CollegePlus and even had the initial interview.

She has since blossomed and is flying through her school work. She has a career focus of nursing in a children's center or labor and delivery or both. College Plus is not going to be a good fit for her anymore. They generally don't work with nursing students.

Had we gone CP she likely would not have had to take the SAT or ACT so we haven't ordered her subjects in the correct sequence for the tests. Now it looks like she will need to take them. I believe she will do well, but she will not take geometry until this year. (She has had Algebra 2.). She will have enough credits to graduate (32) and has a stellar looking volunteer and extracurricular list.

Since she likely will graduate at a young seventeen we would like her to take a gap year to volunteer at hospitals and possible start a business she has talked about. She loves the idea of a gap year and is very motivated to finish her subjects.

So on to the questions. (if you have read this far, bless you!)

Can we wait until spring or even next fall to have her start testing? Is a gap year still looked on as highly if one doesn't apply and get deferred enrollment? Should we just call next year her senior year and have her academic work basically be her gap year? I get she would need some more maths, etc. to do that plan.

We are considering the 5th year type option over the idea of a gap year.  My reasoning is on several fronts:  1. It avoids the defer entry issue and allows for actually deciding which college to apply to until more experience in the bag to be part of the decision 2.  Much of what Dd wants to do in the "extra" time is academic and thus why stop calling it school 3. So much is changing in the ed world generally, that we want to have as much flexibility as possible 4. I have a hard time seeing why calling the year a "gap year" carries any more weight versus having a 5th year.

Whatever we opt to do, we will only count the final four years as high school for transcript purposes.