Menu

How do I add more review w/ MM? (for 6th grade) or should I switch?

Homemama2

Long story short:  We used Rightstart B-E and used MM as a supplement bc my ds needed extra practice.  This worked well.  This past year (5th) we just used MM5 (still not finished yet) but it's clear he needs more review to keep things fresh in his mind.  He seems to do ok at the time he's learning it, but really struggles to retain it (sometimes even for the test).

I'm using Keys to Fractions and Decimals before we continue in MM.  But I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for adding a short, daily review.  Not pages of one topic.  But something like Rightstart's "warmup"  or the reviews I've seen at the beginning of other programs.  I've thought about switching programs, but not sure what I'd go to.  Ugh!  School starts in another week so I need to make up my mind soon!! (We'll have the "Keys to" series to get us going but not having a firm plan is driving me insane!)

Math Minutes would fit the bill. I used it for part of last year alongside MM. I had to put it aside because the Math Minutes got ahead of Math Mammoth in some topics. I am going to use Math Minutes 5 with MM 6 this fall.

ETA: This is assuming that I use the old MM6. If the new MM6 comes out before our start date in Sep, I don't think the review will be necessary. There are more cumulative reviews built in to the new version. You may want to keep that in mind if you are using the old version now.

Have you ever used the MM author's worksheet generator site?  It has come in really handy for us when I feel like a student needs a little more practice before we move on to a new topic.  The link to the sixth grade problems is :  http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/grade_6.php.

I know you said you don't want pages of one topic.  Maybe you could print out pages of several topics, then have your son do one or two problems from each?  

HTH,

Susan

We have been using MM since the beginning, and my rising fifth grader will be starting this year with 4B. What I have been doing is assigning ds9 every other problem. If I see he needs more practice or his understanding is shaky, I give him some more. If he needs even more than that (which hasn't been the case - yet), we do the online games MM recommends, and I know I have the worksheet generator as well. In fact, since I have the download with all math from 1 through 6, I believe I can just go back and recycle topics he needs to work on. Good luck!

Are you using the cumulative reviews at the end of each chapter? Doing all the story problems? If not, I'd make sure to do those before switching or adding anything.

Yes.  We've been doing all of that.  Story problems are one of his issues b/c he skims over stuff and doesn't pay attention to what they are asking for.  I think he just needs more daily review.  Thanks though!  :)

Have you ever used the MM author's worksheet generator site?  It has come in really handy for us when I feel like a student needs a little more practice before we move on to a new topic.  The link to the sixth grade problems is :  http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/grade_6.php.

I know you said you don't want pages of one topic.  Maybe you could print out pages of several topics, then have your son do one or two problems from each?  

HTH,

Susan

Thanks!  I did use them once or twice, but maybe I should just print off several topics like you suggested.  That would be easy enough to assign a few a day.

Math Minutes would fit the bill. I used it for part of last year alongside MM. I had to put it aside because the Math Minutes got ahead of Math Mammoth in some topics. I am going to use Math Minutes 5 with MM 6 this fall.

ETA: This is assuming that I use the old MM6. If the new MM6 comes out before our start date in Sep, I don't think the review will be necessary. There are more cumulative reviews built in to the new version. You may want to keep that in mind if you are using the old version now.

Thanks!  I haven't heard of this before.  Off to check out samples!  :)