Menu

Math (Saxon and R&S)

ALB

Math has caused tears for my very bright dd7 since the beginning. We completed Saxon K-2 (using it a year ahead), and then tried Math Mammoth for the last 6 months. I went back to MM 2 because math has continually been such a struggle for her. The tears and frustration have only increased, so now I am looking at Rod and Staff math. I think she needs to cement the basics and build confidence, so I'm actually considering using R&S 2 to accomplish that. Does that sound too crazy for a student who has already completed Saxon 2?

Please give advice, I'm beginning to feel a bit desperate!

It doesn't sound crazy to me at all. My young children are happiest doing math at a level where they know most of the material. If it's too challenging they'll look at the worksheet and weep. I've been known to repeat levels or books if that's what was needed to build confidence and happy children. My vote is to go for it. :coolgleamA:

R&S was a total lifesaver for us.  I had tried a number of conceptual math programs with my son in K and 1st and when we began R&S, it was such a relief.  It was just what my son needed.  I would look at the scope and sequence, though. R&S moves pretty slowly until 4th grade.  I'm not sure what the scope and sequence is of Saxon at that level.

Thanks for the replies!  I'm feeling reassured.  

I know R&S moves slowly, and technically she could do the grade 3 one.  She can do double digit addition and subtraction, but still needs to count on a hundred chart to do the basic facts.  It looks like R&S 2 works on cementing those facts, and I think we could probably go through it somewhat quickly if its really easy.  It is just so hard to watch her cry over not understanding the math problems and I think she really is just not getting it.  She does all of her school happily and rarely complains, but really struggles to understand math.  

Any more advice before I purchase?  

You might also consider getting the blackline masters. They are optional, but they provide practice in different ways than the workbooks do. Also, there's the 1000 Book (the dc write their numbers to 1000 during the year), and there are patterns to make the visuals--which are also optional, and the patterns are in the teacher manual, but they can be useful and they're easier to use than the ones in the book.

Something else that really helped my son was putting up a number line from 0 to 100. It wrapped around the ceiling of our schoolroom and I saw him referring to it a lot in the early years. It really helped to cement the relationship of one number to another for him. I just mention that since you said she uses a hundred chart for her facts.

I would also stress the importance of doing the oral teaching section at the beginning of each lesson. Talking about the lesson and doing the oral drills were really important for my son, and R&S makes it so easy to do.

I hope you have great success!