Menu

Fiction Books for Adolescent Girl - Recommendations?

eaglei

Had someone ask me today for FICTION recommendations for a young adolescent girl about to turn thirteen.  Wants stories about girls and the various changes/problems/moods/development that come with becoming a young lady (physically, emotionally, etc.)  I found a book of short stories (don't recall the title) that fit what she wanted, but she wanted more than one book.  All the mom could think of was Judy Blume books.  Looked at various titles/series.  Meantime, the young lady in question decided that the "How I Survived Middle School" books sounded good.  

So, what books and/or authors would you recommend?

Thanks!

I've seen this but haven't read it ...

13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen

"No one will want to skip any of the twelve short stories and one poem that make up this collection by some of the most celebrated contemporary writers of teen fiction. The big bar mitzvah that goes suddenly, wildly, hilariously out of control. A first kiss -- and a realization about one's sexual orientation. A crush on a girl that ends up putting the boy who likes her in the hospital. A pair of sneakers a kid has to have. By turns funny and sad, wrenching and poignant, the moments large and small described in these stories capture perfectly the agony and ecstasy of being thirteen."

Regards,

Kareni

Quickly:

Catherine, Called Birdie

The Midwife's Apprentice

Stargirl (protagonist is hs'd)

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter (Basically Middle Ages rad hsing. :))

The Princess Diaries (all are decent. My dds liked the one about Russian Princess Anastasia best)

Ella Enchanted

Once Upon a Marigold

The Van Gogh Cafe

Rick Riordon books (which she may have already read)

I'll keep thinking.