Menu

Graphic/ website design advice needed

proudmamma

I am hoping you all can give some insight.  My daughter is interested in graphic design, website design, etc. Her ultimate goal is to be able to work from home so she can have a family and homeschool her kids :).  We have been researching a ton and trying to figure out if attending college is necessary or even the best course to take for this career choice. There is a one year technical certificate and an associate degree available at the local community college, but when we went and visited, it was just okay, nothing too impressive.  She would have a 40 minute commute one way, and over $10,000.00 if she attends for the associate degree. So....she is looking for other options that might be a better choice. Several things she has read online suggest teaching yourself and/or short online tutorials are just as good, if not better than college, as long as you are motivated and self-disciplined.  There are so many choices ranging from very expensive to free!  Here is one that she just found this morning:  http://digitaldesigninstitute.com/index.html

Any advice that anyone has would be soooo welcome!!

Thanks,

Lora

She could teach herself. At some point some design classes might be helpful and if you had closer cc classes that might help. The plus of classes is they will get her student discounts on the big software programs designers use. 

She might also try to locate some local folks doing what she would like to do and see if they would take her on as intern. 

Graphic design is an extremely competitive field, and I would strongly recommend a four-year degree from a solid program that is known for graduating students who get jobs.

While I'm sure there are exceptions, ime, the degree is needed to move past the part-time or hobbyist level. I know a few people w/no degree who make some extra money designing web sites, but I don't know anyone who makes a living at it without a four-year degree.

Keep in mind that web design and graphic design, while using elements of each other, are different fields. Graphic design uses computers but covers a lot more than just websites. The college here has programs for both but the graphic design program is a lot more intensive. 

It is a very competitive field and having a degree will likely matter at some point in her career even if it doesn't initially. I would make sure she's met with the financial aid office at the community college to get a personal assessment of her what her costs would be after any financial aid and scholarships. Make sure she's comparing this cost to total cost for the other alternatives she's looking at. Candid raises a very good point about software discounts. That can be a very significant benefit of being enrolled in college. Graphic design software can be incredibly expensive.

If she's not feeling up for the commitment of school yet, one other idea would be to try to explore workshops and community courses just as a means of getting her feet wet and making sure this is something she likes. Our library offers several free courses related to introductory website design, using Adobe products, etc. Once she gets software and some degree of competence she could also start building a portfolio through volunteer projects. If she does go to the community college I would encourage her to take a couple of basic business courses if she hopes to work for herself because there is a lot to know about bookkeeping, contracts, etc.