Menu

Who knows different types if garlic?

Renthead Mommy

Burpee sent out there "time to order garlic" email.  Last fall I planted garlic for the first time, just bought at the local nursury,  no clue at this point which kind.  I got 8 cloves and was very excited and they are currently braided and hanging on the wall.  So I went to the Burpee page thinking I'll just order some garlic.  Oh my god!  There are 31 different types to choose from!  

So what type do I want?  Nothing to hot or too much bite.  I like it in sauces, with chicken and pork and green veggies especially.  I love it roasted and since the I'm basically the only one eating it, I'll toss a bunch in to whatever is roasted/baking  and eat those myself.  

I am going to get some elephant or other large bulb because I like them roasted to use for spreads on crusty bread.  Which other kind do people like/plant? 

Burpee's 31 flavors

http://www.burpee.com/product/categoryLong.jsp?catId=2018&pageNum=0&pageSize=48&facetTrail=&sort=default&_requestid=5252094

Hardneck is considered more gourmet than soft neck.   I would pick one of the red varieties.    The reason I like the red varieties is that you can tell they aren't from the grocery store.   I think if you compare them side by side you might be able to tell the difference in the flavor, but in reality they all taste like garlic.    The fresh and hardneck tends to have a more robust flavor.  

Elephant garlic does taste a little different and it is fun because it is so big.  

Don't over think it, but pick some.