Menu

Please help with curriculum

richieheleng

Please help me to choose a curriculum for my 12 year old. Her iq is 70-80, She is still reading and doing math at 1st grade level. Her handwriting is very ineligible. . She has been in different special ed schools and always has been 3 years behind and does not make progress. I want homeschool her, but i have a lot of fears because i don not how to start. I have been doing apples and pears, level A. I also have Mus alpha. My question is what a curriculum should have for her day. Is apples and pears enought for language and arts or should i include grammar. Any suggestion for science , social study etc . Any help would be appreciate it. Thanks

I don't know the specifics of your dtr's impairment but I thought I would share what has helped me at home with my child.

What worked at home for dd 71 IQ low working memory, dyspraxia,language impaired, APD, VPD etc

She is going to be 12 and reading at a 4/5th grade level, spelling at a 3rd and doing 3rd grade math. We get services through the public school for speech and OT and special ed teacher.

Reading: Recipe for Reading (O-G manual) DIY with I See Sam ....then once at 3rd grade level work on REWARDS for multisyllabic reading strategies. Earobics is an inexpensive computer program that helps phonological awareness, auditory discrimination etc. Highly recommend Dr. Jerome Rosner's book Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties. His skill builders in the back of the book are excellent.

Spelling: Apples and Pears with Recipe for Reading (I am now moving to WRTR helping her create a spelling notebook etc)

Writing and Grammar: Writing Skills by Diana Hansbury King

Cursive: handwriting book by Diana Hansbury King

Building Thinking Skills Series

Digit spans

Science and History : nature study with read alouds 

Off topic, but I was Interested to see Dr Rosner's book mentioned.

When my DD18 was 6, I took her to the Univ of Houston optometry school for an evaluation due to school problems. The supervising doctor was his wife also Dr. Rosner. We were given activities out of that book to do at home.

Connecting Math is a great math program.  It's designed for people with intellectual disabilities and I have used it with great success. 

For Language Arts, I like Reading Mastery.  The newest version has additional literature and some extra stuff.  The older versions are almost the same, as far as the reading content goes, and you can usually pick those up cheaply on amazon or ebay.

Personally, I would include basic grammar, like First Language Lessons.  A child in that IQ range could easily master "a noun is a person, place or thing," etc. and basic grammar rules.

For science, I would do interesting K-2nd grade activities and just follow her interests.

For social studies, I would do a lot of interesting read aloud stories and again, follow her interests.  The Story of the World series would be great.  Use the read aloud CD's.

As far as writing legibility, if she is 12 and not writing legibly, I would let her type.  Get a typing program and ease up on writing.  Handwriting Without Tears is great to keep working on it, but I wouldn't push it at this point. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest desert7rain

Have you looked into time4learning.com?  They let you go a grade above or a grade below at any given time and it's 20 dollars a month.