Menu

Here is a new email scam but what for?

mommybee

Email I just received from a total stranger:

Shannon-

Hope your summer is going well.  Can't believe it is already August.  Can I get your mom's home address from you?    

Thanks-
Lisa

What is the goal of an email like this? Makes me nervous to think other people I know might actually give out my address to some random emailer.

Password security are sometimes questions like "what street did you grow up on" or what is your mom's maiden name.  By emailing a response you could be giving them both.  

It could also be an attempt to get information for collection agencies.

It could also be a way to open up a conversation to elicit a 'sob story' about how  'lisa' could really use some financial help.

Don't respond.  Move to your spam folder and delete.  If you get another email, do not open it.  Send it to spam and delete the folder.

Oh yeah that's what I was going to do and I would never respond to an unknown email like this but I have never received anything like it.

I knew it was a scam though cause it was sent to an email I only use for things like facebook and it gets tons of spam.

I just pray my own family is smart enough to not respond to stuff like this.

You know what's even weirder is I often get things addressed to my junky email but with a period in the name. And that's not how it is for my actual email address.....how come the spammers can get through with a change like that?

Like if my address was beckysmith they will us becky.smith it's one way I always know it's spam

You know what's even weirder is I often get things addressed to my junky email but with a period in the name. And that's not how it is for my actual email address.....how come the spammers can get through with a change like that?

Like if my address was beckysmith they will us becky.smith it's one way I always know it's spam

The actual address may be your legit one, and the display name has the period.  

Makes me nervous to think other people I know might actually give out my address to some random emailer.

Well, tell your kids not to reply if they get an email asking for their mom's home address. :) Just kidding..

At least at gmail, both of those are the same email. It just ignores the period

So beckysmith, b.eckysmith, becky.smith, and beckysm.ith will all go to the same person.