Menu

Jacob's Ladder Reading Comprehension

• 4 months later...

I love Jacob's Ladder. It has definitely improved my children's reading comprehension and thinking skills. 

I use it for the 10yrs old, 2 11yrs old twins. 
We have been going through Level B together and moving on to the next Level eventually. It is challenging them all to think and organize and evaluate. 

I love Jacob's Ladder. It has definitely improved my children's reading comprehension and thinking skills.

I use it for the 10yrs old, 2 11yrs old twins.

We have been going through Level B together and moving on to the next Level eventually. It is challenging them all to think and organize and evaluate.

Do you have the kids write out answers? I am thinking about using the book as a writing program as well in addition to the intended purpose.

Yes they write on the ladder but that is not enough for a writing program. they use it for notes really. not full sentences.

We are looking at Rome unit right now and I am thinking to expand it into a larger study. I think some of their analytical questions can be answered with multiple paragraphs. I'm thinking for an 8 year old this could be a welcoming break from writing summaries and narrations. We need more thoughtful assignments around here.

I'm using the K-1 for my 6 year old, I find I have to rephrase some of the questions for her.

Almost all the books I am having to request on interlibrary loan which is a pain and I am not sure I will repeat for all her younger siblings. But the questions are thought provoking and I see the value in using it.

• 2 weeks later...

For the younger kids---I would just have them answer orally. For my 4th and 6th graders they write their answers (usually just like notes) on the ladder worksheets and then we discuss their answers. I ask them if they agree with each other's answers and why and why not.

It is a long process but they gain a lot from the process. 

It is not in my opinion a writing course whatsoever. Maybe they may have extension activities that might be considered writing lessons. I don;t remember seeing them off the top of my head.

No it's not, but my kids are young. My little one is working on paragraph writing, so often he writes one as a response to questions in the Jacob's book and I use it as a teaching opportunity. On days when we write based on this program, we don't do other writing assignments.